Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp lt headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb slp lt headers

so how much hp do lt headers really make. are they really woth paying $800 4? will be maching up with slp loudmouth and y pipe? any hp gains out there with same setup? is it a signifiicant difference?
Smilies
Old 09-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Launching!

I have the SLP LT headers, high flow cats, y-pipe and loudmouth cat back. I love the whole system. Looks great under the hood and under the car as well. I don't know how much they actually make cause I haven't paid a visit to the dyno or track yet. I noticed a great difference all around. Sounds awesome too. I'm glad I went with it.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

ISPEED T/A, I dont think the slp headers are worth the $800. I went with the jet hots LT's. They are the same design as the hooker LT's yet they use thicker tubing and thicker flanges. Plus they are proven to run more than 200 degrees cooler than any other header. I have not dyno-ed yet, but I seen one person with jet hots gain 29 rwhp with just headers and tuning of course. And I only paid $540
Old 09-29-2004, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

They are excellent quality; stainless steel and ceramic coated as well. Mine look as good as when they went in last winter.
I gained 24 rwhp with cats. That's around normal for all long tubes.
The only complaint from some is that they reduce ground clearance because they hang low. I have to be careful over speed bumps to avoid scraping.
I got the whole package, including y pipe, cats and installation kit from Tom Byrne last fall for $868 incl shipping. SLP offered free cats at the time. That's why I bought them-they are normally $1200+. Watch for a sale IMHO.
They make a really nice sound with my Random Tech exhaust, too.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Teching In

kewl thks for all your guys help. might just get jet hots for that price hells yes
Old 09-29-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've heard SLP has made false claims on their headers. I can't remember off-hand how much HP they claim to add, but it is an outrageous number. I think you'll be just as happy with a different brand for less $$.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got 26 rwhp/26rwtq with my SLP LTs... i thought that was pretty good.

i'm about to sell mine though, i just want something that tucks up under the car better... i'm going to go with Jet Hots. i have a pretty good connection so i'll get them for a pretty good price.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by atljcope03
I've heard SLP has made false claims on their headers. I can't remember off-hand how much HP they claim to add, but it is an outrageous number. I think you'll be just as happy with a different brand for less $$.
I agree, they've claimed as much as like 50+hp in their ads.
Yes they are stainless and coated but so keep in mind that it's the more inferior 409 stainless, not the far better 304 stainless of other headers that cost less in most cases.
I'd get Pacesetter LTs even before I'd get SLP LTs.

Oh and if you already have an SLP Y pipe (the bolt in replacement one that mates up to stock cats that is) then that won't work with their (or anyone's) LTs without major modification.
And if you're going with a new off road Y pipe and LTs then you might want to reconsider that Loudmouth as well, will be LOUD and potentially raspy...with high flow cats added on it won't be too bad though.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:58 PM

I gained 24rwhp with Kooks headers & cated Y-pipe.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

SLP LT's suck, IMO. Ground clearance is horrible with them and it has been proven they make less HP then other LT's. I would have to be given a set to use, I would never buy them. Do a search for the story of when someone caught them on a manhole cover, it will definitely make you think twice before you buy them. They hang LOW. Way better deals out there. If you have $800 to spend get a used set of Kooks or QTP or a new set of Jet Hots, all are superior. Basically, use SLP LT's when you just cant pass up the deal or as an absolute last resort.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Ground clearance is a little small, but I picked up 27hp and 25 ft-lbs on MTI's dyno.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SLP LT's are arguably the best LT's out there for price vs what you get. Stainless Steel and Ceramic coated.

BUT!!!!
If you plan to lower your car at all, I would not advise getting them.
I was only lowered an inch and tried VERY hard not to drag them, but they still scrapped. I ended selling them and was going to go to Kooks (pre-turbo. Now stock again).
I was really happy with the performance and sound with the LT's WITH cats and the Loud Mouth. Without the cats, there was too much rasp.
Good luck.
Read JRP's FAQ's about exhaust. It is pretty dead on.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wildman
SLP LT's are arguably the best LT's out there for price vs what you get. Stainless Steel and Ceramic coated.
Its overkill to coat stainless steel, although this is 409 stainless, not the high quality 304 stainless that others use. SLP LT's are outdated, overpriced, and ineffective.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

funny though, cause my SLP LT's still look like new while these new updated headers they sell now look like crap. Those with Jet Hots, let us know in 2 years how you like them. Quite a few friends went with them cause they are cheap, but now they are nothing but friggin RUST.

SLP's hang low for a reason. If you are lowered, i wouldnt get them. They hang lower so they clear the floorboard.

they work well and last the test of time.. I got one of the first 10 orders shipped quite a while back. If I had to do it over again, i'd still get them. No im not a SLP freak cause half there stuff is overpriced, but the headers have done me well and still look brand new.

You pay for what you get... yeah they are a PITA to install also.. they arent perfect, but far betetr than half the other CHEAPER headers everyone thinks is a better bang for the buck.

they claimed something like 50hp LOL.. maybe thats at the motor since most cars pick up 25-30rwhp from them which puts it about 40-50 at the motor

i'd recommend them, but the installer may have a few choice words to say about that part LMAO
Old 09-29-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
Its overkill to coat stainless steel, although this is 409 stainless, not the high quality 304 stainless that others use. SLP LT's are outdated, overpriced, and ineffective.
I wouldn't say that they're ineffective. However, there alot better options out there for the cash.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like I said... arguably.
I really liked them, and I agree that they were a PITA to install.
I unbolted my motor mounts and moved the motor around to install and uninstall them.
I probably would've left them on if they did not scrape.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Jet-hot's all the way. Price, power, and looks. Just a great investment
Old 09-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Launching!

I love my SLP LT's. They sound mean with the cutout WOT.
But if you wanna lower your car forget them (as it was said before) you'll never have a ground clearence issue unless you hit speed bumps but just don't hit them. Slow down they are there for a reason.

Tommy
Old 09-29-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

mnc, how long have you had the jet hots?? I have a few friends with them and they look worse than a set of 15 year old BBK's lol

they have rusted all around the bottom and the top of the header primaries. Definitly not show quality peices after 2 years. I can take pics of them if needed.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
SLP LT's suck, IMO. Ground clearance is horrible with them and it has been proven they make less HP then other LT's.
No they haven't

Every Long tube is basically the same for power outage. Just look, one guy got more out of his then some other guy with kooks. They aren't the best header, but they make the same power.

-Todd