Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HotCam Owners Come In

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HotCam Owners Come In

What kinds of gains will I receive with the HotCam and stock heads, horsepower or E.T. wise? Mods in sig. Bare in mind this is my daily driver, sole car, and I commute 90 miles a day. I want a sizable increase in horsepower, while remaining good divability and getting DECENT gas mileage. I know everyone is going to say "GO BIGGER," but I don't want the issues of high lift and I only occassionally drag race. I don't go to the track every week, it's more like every 3 months or so. What experiences have you guys had with the LS1 HotCam? Please try to be unbiased in your responses, keep in mind I need to pass emissions in Cali, so I think this may be the cam for me. Plus, the kit is only like $400-450. TIA.

Nick
Old 09-29-2004, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have my cam installed yet, so I think my opinion is as unbiased as they come. The HC pretty much isn't the way for anybody to go, UNLESS you want a really mean sounding idle, without the power, or without having to ever check your springs. Do you want it to sound really mean, or do you want it to sound nice? The HC requires a tune to run properly, which is another $500 bucks. With your M6 car you could get a 221 cam, or an MTI stealth cam w/ low lift on some 918's. That will make MUCH more power, you can run it okay with out a tune (It'd still be better with of course), and your springs would still last pretty much forever. Just a thought. Anything under 224 can pass smog in Cali if everything I've read is to be believed. FWIW, I went w/ the 215/220 and I live in San Diego.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:11 AM
TECH Resident

Hey,
I've had my Hotcam installed since April of 2003, and I am not bored of it, and I am happy I went with this type of cam. My car is used for daily driving and Autocrossing. For me it is a great setup. I got plenty of power for the street, tons of power for autocrossing, and when my engine is spinnning at 6,000+ for a minute straight (while autoxing), I am glad the lift is not too high. Plus, I get lots of comments about how my car sounds idling (good comments!) I dynoed my car a few mods ago. The numbers are in my sig, and I'm happy with them. The only real problem with my car is traction, since I am running 4.10s in a stock 10bolt, I will not bring myself to putting stickier tires on All said, Its was a great choice for me and no regrets at all.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Hotcam. I made 381/373 with it untuned. The car has 4.10 gears. On a recent trip from St. Louis to Springfield, MO I got just over 22 mpg. We ran at about 82 mph (a couple of 4th gear runs just playing around) most of the way, and you are climbing the Ozarks on the drive. I imagine on a flat piece of interstate at 75 mph I would have been close to 25 mpg.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

I have hotcam. Let me discuss a few things about this cam. This cam idles like CRAP. I have my car tunned so that is not an issue. A futral F11 idles better and it is a 228/230 .59 lift 112lsa. Take a look at the advertized duration of the hotcam vs the futral cam. The hotcam has like a 290 duration and the f11 has 280 (someone may have to check my numbers here). Therefore the hotcam actually has more overlap than the bigger f11. Next, the high lift. Well, hotcam needs new springs which is why it comes with ls6 springs. Regardless you will have to change springs. If you get patriot golds which are good to .650 lift then you will be well within the spring range.

I type this long post because I have the hotcam and completely loved it until I drove a car with a F11. The F11 will make more HP with better driveability. Only go the hotcam if you are on a budget. I made 380rwhp/380rwtq w/ my hotcam w/o a pully. The cam will make power, but there are better solutions out there.

Jason
Old 09-29-2004, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

i guess you didnt see the part about passing smog?!? i have a hotcam installed in my 99 ls1 that i am putting in my 68 firebird. as soon as i can drive it i will let yall know..
Old 09-29-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Hot Cam probably wouldn't pass Cali smog from what I've seen... you'll want something on a 114 LSA for that kind of duty.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=CaptUSA]I don't have my cam installed yet, so I think my opinion is as unbiased as they come. The HC pretty much isn't the way for anybody to go]

how do you know? you dont even have a cam! i hate it when people make comments and they dont have any experience with what their talking about.
anyways the hotcam may or may not be what your looking for. just listen to the people who actually have had it and make your decision. comp cams also make some low lift cams check with the sponsers.------------------------
Old 09-29-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

I ran the hotcam for almost 7 months, I had a base predator tune on it plus user alterations for almost 5 mths. It was not a daily driver but had decent manners. When I wanted to go bigger my first thought was to go with 1.8 rockers, instead I went with a FMS F11, damn good call on my part, On the base tune( my predator was stolen out of a friends car while waiting on a download on a custom tune) the FMS F11 had better manners and ran a hell of a lot harder SOTP. To be fair I didn't dyno with the HC but after the FMS F11 and a dyno tune (#'s in sig) the car drives like a DD. If ultimate performance is your goal(even best bang for your buck performance) there are better choices than the HC but I wont badmouth it all. I really belive in the FMS cam selections and they are far more advanced in LSx technoligy than a 5 + yrs old GM cam.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'll be installing my hotcam this weekend, and the only thing that can stop me is if someone is willing to sell me a cam kit (cam, springs, retainers) for VERY cheap!

i've read things about about the Hotcam, and there are SO many people that say there are better routes to go. but for me its the right cam for me at this time. i've done almost all of the bolt-ons and want to see if i can get a temporary leg up on my friends.
based on the the 2 facts that...
A) this is my daily driver and it won't distroy my gas milage and
B) purchasing a cam on a college student budget isn't that easy... this was the cam for me.

i'm not trying to conquor the world by horsepower, i just wanted something that would give me a good kick, and sound bad *** when i'm cruising around town.
the Hotcam accomplishes these things for me.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000TransAmWS6
i'll be installing my hotcam this weekend, and the only thing that can stop me is if someone is willing to sell me a cam kit (cam, springs, retainers) for VERY cheap!

i've read things about about the Hotcam, and there are SO many people that say there are better routes to go. but for me its the right cam for me at this time. i've done almost all of the bolt-ons and want to see if i can get a temporary leg up on my friends.
based on the the 2 facts that...
A) this is my daily driver and it won't distroy my gas milage and
B) purchasing a cam on a college student budget isn't that easy... this was the cam for me.

i'm not trying to conquor the world by horsepower, i just wanted something that would give me a good kick, and sound bad *** when i'm cruising around town.
If these are your parameters you will not be disapointed.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss rally red
If these are your parameters you will not be disapointed.
EXACTLY!

and you know, i'll probably get something bigger sometime, because i love a big cam... but i'll do it when the time is right.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:53 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why do so many people think the hot cam is emissions friendly (sniffer) . i know dozens of people who have failed the CA emissions standards with the hot cam. if you want a CA emissions cam get something that has been documented to pass. and i mean documented as in seeing a smog sheet with the actual numbers. not " friend of a friend who's brothers uncle's cousin passing with a T-rex size cam".
Old 09-29-2004, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

fully understand about that budget thing..... thats why i went with hotcam. now, i am able to go another route. hotcam is a very good cam and will put the numbers down, but there are better options
Old 09-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Here is the deal folks, yes the hotcam idles agressivly (I liked it) and there is more peak HP to be made with other grinds, BUT for a guy with a stock bottom end that won't take a lot of 6800rpm thrashes and STOCK heads, the HC works great, at 3000rpm this thing is a sledge hammer. it runs out of power at about 6000rpm or so, but unless you have forged bottoms, it is perfect. My 99SS ran 12.11@114mph untuned, with the normal bolt on's. If you drive your car around at high rpms ala time it ain't for you. If your bottom end and heads are stock it works great and everything you need is in the kit.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:45 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SS1857
Here is the deal folks, yes the hotcam idles agressivly (I liked it) and there is more peak HP to be made with other grinds, BUT for a guy with a stock bottom end that won't take a lot of 6800rpm thrashes and STOCK heads, the HC works great, at 3000rpm this thing is a sledge hammer. it runs out of power at about 6000rpm or so, but unless you have forged bottoms, it is perfect. My 99SS ran 12.11@114mph untuned, with the normal bolt on's. If you drive your car around at high rpms ala time it ain't for you. If your bottom end and heads are stock it works great and everything you need is in the kit.
thats the thing, the HC seem to put out decent numbers but they dont seem to translate into good numbers at the track. 114 trap speed aint great for a bolt cammed setup.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2ndGenWs6Owner
What kinds of gains will I receive with the HotCam and stock heads, horsepower or E.T. wise? Mods in sig. Bare in mind this is my daily driver, sole car, and I commute 90 miles a day. I want a sizable increase in horsepower, while remaining good divability and getting DECENT gas mileage. I know everyone is going to say "GO BIGGER," but I don't want the issues of high lift and I only occassionally drag race. I don't go to the track every week, it's more like every 3 months or so. What experiences have you guys had with the LS1 HotCam? Please try to be unbiased in your responses, keep in mind I need to pass emissions in Cali, so I think this may be the cam for me. Plus, the kit is only like $400-450. TIA.

Nick
I know a few people who shared some info with me on the hotcam. I have attached a graph, let me get to the details right away. It certainly won't pass the sniffer in CA, but overall there are decent characteristics that are relevant when selecting the hotcam. Such as: good lope, broad powerband, good value, long spring life, and reliable lift.

In other words, if you buy a set of 918 springs, you won't have to change them out for quite some time aftwards.

Fwiw, I have attached a dyno graph I downloaded from a board member, for reference purposes any general indication as well. As you can see, the hotcam has a tq curve with 350 lb/ft from 3500 rpm. I believe this car had shorties and all the bolt ons. Not too shabby imo.
Attached Thumbnails HotCam Owners Come In-218-227_hotcam_boltons_m-.jpg  
Old 09-30-2004, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

thats the thing, the HC seem to put out decent numbers but they dont seem to translate into good numbers at the track
well thats not very true! i know quite a few people that have great times with there bolt on hotcammed cars! for instance if you go to this website http://web.archive.org/web/200212031...om/raughammer/
and go under the cam talk and go down until you see the hotcam, you will see what everyone has done to their car and what they put down as well as the times that they did at the track! and if you click on this link https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=1215 you will see a guys profile on this website showing what all he has done to his car and his times. his dyno numbers are from before the hotcam, but he estimated about 355 to the wheels! and he ran 11.6! i think the main reason you dont see many hotcam times is because everyone that get the hotcam just likes to cruise around town with it or just likes that rumble! i will give track times as soon as i can on my 68 project with this cam!
Old 09-30-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Just for reference.

Old 10-04-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

guys, thanks. But if it won't pass emissions, IT'S OUT. I will probably go with a 222/222 114lsa cam with .563 lift. It's more expensive, but I think it will be better for me because when I get my LS6 manifold, Jantzer TB, and either Patriot or AFR heads I won't have to change cams right away. Thank you all for your responses, but overall, the CompCams SI1 on a XE-R grind is probably in my near future.