Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rockers coming loose!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rockers coming loose!

well i built my first motor from scratch and bin having nothin but problems with it.. finally got it running and now when i set the lifters, and there fine till its reved above 4000 rpm or if i take it for a road test they come loose pretty fast and the motor won't idle and has no power at all.. i figured it was the cam and also talked to a shop about it they said the same thing. And i no i did turn it over lots before it started after building it.. so i did the cam swap myself.. and put the distributer in the rite way this time.. and it fired rite away! i did set the lifters when it was running making sure they wernt to loose again.. well after breaking in the cam i set the idle and timing again and then reved it up some they were still loose so i adjusted them another 2 times. then this time i gave it some rpm and now the drivers side came really loose! sounds like the rockers gona fall off!! so i gave up and came in here to ask u guys! i just spent 250 dollers on the new cam/lifters and all gaskets to do the swap and now there doing the same thing again!! im running crane roller rockers with blazer valve springs mounted on screw in studs in my camal humps, not to mention i have the locking bolts with the allan key lock! so the studs arnt coming loose thats for sure! wut else could it be?? bye the way the motor is a 80-85 not a LS1 sorry im just trying to get my truck running to sell it to pay off my car! any thoughts? thanx alot for any help!
Old 09-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the poly locks actually loosen up? You can spin them by hand after they loosen?
I say the cam lobes are wearing out due to a bad lifter bore alignment or improper break in if the bolts aren't actually loose.
If they are loose you can try adjusting the valves then tighten down the allen screw against the stud and then tighten the locknut a bit more while turning the allen at the same time. That way they get a tighter "lock" on the stud.