Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with B&M Shift improver kit

Old 09-30-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trouble with B&M Shift improver kit

Well I just installed it and now reverse slips real bad and if I manually shift into 1st I can accelerate but when I let off it's like I'm in neutral. Anyone know what I might have done wrong? Or when I open it up again where to look? I don't know what parts work reverse. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

The B&M Shift Improver caused alot of problems for people when the LS1's first came oout so everyone stopped using them. Unfortunately it sounds like your tranny is on it's way out.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLKTA
The B&M Shift Improver caused alot of problems for people when the LS1's first came oout so everyone stopped using them. Unfortunately it sounds like your tranny is on it's way out.
First I've heard of problems with the B&M! The shifts now are great. Nice chirp from the F1's. The condition of my transmission could not be better. On it's way out, no I don't think so. I simply have reverse slipping now since I installed the kit. I think maybe a separator plate gasket may have slipped, just thought someone might have an idea on this. Thought about using the Trans go only I hear there is a TM problem. With the B&M no timing is pulled at shifts, pulls strong thru all the gears. I do have to turn off my traction control due to wheel spin at shift points.
If anyone has an idea on my reverse slipping I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Torque Management is not a mechanical function. The PCM is programmed to pull timing during the shift. It is an event syncronized with the commands to shift the trans and purely a function of engine management only. Making modifications to the valve body in the form of a shift kit or otherwise does not change how much torque management you get, only how much you will perceive it.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by James B.
Torque Management is not a mechanical function. The PCM is programmed to pull timing during the shift. It is an event syncronized with the commands to shift the trans and purely a function of engine management only. Making modifications to the valve body in the form of a shift kit or otherwise does not change how much torque management you get, only how much you will perceive it.

Agreed
Old 10-01-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by James B.
Making modifications to the valve body in the form of a shift kit or otherwise does not change how much torque management you get, only how much you will perceive it.
I respectfully disagree with this statement. In my novice opinion the shift kit firms up the shifts by mechanically INCREASING the line pressure, which in turn causes more torque management to be applied.

If I am off base on this, I would appreciate the correct answer.

SteveC

Search this Thread