Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a 98 BMW 325M3

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ran a 98 BMW 325M3

We went from a stop. I revved up to 1200 RPMS and kinda eased into full throttle so I wouldn't spin on the third honk. I got him by at least 2 cars off the line, but he caught up to me by the time we hit 80. Then started pulling ahead of me and by 110 he had a little more than a car length on me give or take and was still puliing away so I shut down at 120. I asked him what kind of engine and he said "2.3 liter, straight six with bolt-ons". I had no idea that those BMWs are that f-ing fast. I think it's time I invest in a shift kit because I noticed that my sloppy *** shifting A4 makes me lose a lot of ground when I go up against manual cars, and I always either hit the rev limiter or the valves are floating. I don't know. The guy with the BMW drove that thing very well. Much respect to German engineering, those things have a nasty top end, or the TA has a sucky one.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

get a convertor and a kit it does make a difference
Old 10-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Nice death, yep, time for some mods.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:58 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW doesn't make a 2.3 liter 6 cylinder engine

A 325 is exactly that, a 3 series 2.5 liter. It's the runt of the BMW E36, 6 cylinder motors.

The next step up would be a 328....a 2.8 liter, and then a 3.0 or 3.2 liter M3. A 1998 model being a 3.2

Maybe you just got confused.. If you saw a 325 badge, with an M3 badge next to it, it wasn't an M. People do that all the time, kind of like putting trans am stickers on a base model firebird.

M3s don't exactly respond well to bolt ons either, a grand in bolt ons; exhaust, intake, chip, etc. won't get you much. If you're lucky you might grab 230rwhp, and the cars are heavy as ****. It would be in the area of 3600 pounds.

I'm really surprised you lost to one...time to step up to an LS1
Old 10-01-2004, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Ok. It was the same style as the 325 but it was a 2 door, and it had 18 inch BMW wheels. Very sharp looking car. But I did see the M3 badge, no mistakin that, I might have heard him wrong or he doesn't know what he has, because a 2.3 litre did seem kinda small for a fast straight six. I don't need to upgrade to a totally diff car and engine... I just need to get a good port job on my heads. From what I understand the heads is where the LS1 is different from the LT1.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Oh yeah, and a shift kit.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93transam
From what I understand the heads is where the LS1 is different from the LT1.
And pretty much everywhere else. Hello ones aluminum one's iron. Man you're talking about two totally different cats. Yea you could run on par with an LS1 if you get a good set of heads no prob but that's not near the only difference between the two engines. Nice run with the BMW though.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Launching!

Oh yeah sorry. I meant by what produces the extra performance stock wise. I didn't know an aluminum block produces more HP than an iron one with every other part being identical in the two engines.

Oh wait, the LS1s are 346 cubic inches while the LT1's are actually 350 right, so you can spin the LS1's a little faster...

I seriously have to get some more mods though but first I need money and time. Guess I won't have a really really fast car until I graduate from law school.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh wait, the LS1s are 346 cubic inches while the LT1's are actually 350 right, so you can spin the LS1's a little faster...

That has absolutely nothing to do with it at all.

Higher RPMs require more A/F and the intake manifold, camshaft, valves, and heads have to be capable of providing the flow the higher RPMs require.

You can spin pretty much any engine as high as you want so long as it is capable of delivering the A/F it needs.

Here's an example: LS1 is a 5.7L. LS2 is a 6.0L. LS1 redlines at 6,000. LS2 redlines at 6500.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Oh I see and I just did some research and I found out that the LS1 or third gen small block has a longer stroke so if what I was sayin were true the LT1 would have the higher redline. But I do know that an engine with a smaller stroke will spin faster than an engine with a longer stroke with all other factors being equal. That's just simple physics.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Oh I see and I just did some research and I found out that the LS1 or third gen small block has a longer stroke so if what I was sayin were true the LT1 would have the higher redline. But I do know that an engine with a smaller stroke will spin faster than an engine with a longer stroke with all other factors being equal. That's just simple physics.

Actually you are both wrong. What limits your revs is the valvtrain mainly the spings (stiffness) and how strong your bottom end is, the rods and etc. (rotating assymbly). Having a longer stroke does put more stress on the rotating assymbly yes but it's the "how much can the valvetrain and the bottom end take befroe things go that determines your redline. After that it's the block itself. There are engines out there with a rediculous stroke that can rev way high. Having the right A/F, intake, cam etc. up top is essential to making power up there but will usully not limit your ability to spin that high.

The valve spring are usually the first weakest link. They cant close the valves fast enough at the higher rpms and this cause a condition called valve float where the valves stay open too long or don't ever close completely. Stiffer springs allow for higher rpms because they are able to close the valves much more reliably at the high rotating speeds.

And the LS1 is a completly redisigned engine compared to the LT1 different main design different casting different everything you could think of.

Last edited by ricekillman; 10-02-2004 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Launching!

And the LS1 is a completly redisigned engine compared to the LT1 different main design different casting different everything you could think of.[/QUOTE]

Any links to this? Im pretty curious. I know there is a lot of new technology in the LS1.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, you're right there.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ricekillman
Having the right A/F, intake, cam etc. up top is essential to making power up there but will usully not limit your ability to spin that high.
Making power up there is realy what I was referring to. I mean, it does you little to no good to spin your motor real fast if you aren't makign power.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Velocity
Making power up there is realy what I was referring to. I mean, it does you little to no good to spin your motor real fast if you aren't makign power.
Oh yeah I understand what your saying. I almost forgot about the almost 10 year advantage that you LS1 guys have over my rickety old LT1 in technology.

Suprised I didn't go before the "flame inquisition" for my little thread.