Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a hissing engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 09:50 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question a hissing engine

okay so I ran my engine through a bunch of water recently, got her back up and running. but the engine now hisses, and evidences a slight ping more than before. the ping sounds like a pin being tapped against a little bell and occurs many times a second. it's been doing it since I've owned the car, though much quieter, so I figure no big deal hopefully. the hiss though, is weird. It sounds like its coming from the pulleys, but they are all lined up, and turning as they should. i doont think its the belts, as the hiss isnt squeaky like when the belts get wet. its like low pitch snake hiss, or like steam escaping from a boiler. in terms of gages, the car is perfect. temp, idle, vibration, coolant, oil pressure, etc. but when I get on the throttle, as she goes up in rpms, the hiss gets louder. No change in pitch, just louder. and it gets PRETTY damn loud by the time I am up in the 3k range.

do you think this could be because of the water? I looked in at the pulleys and it appears that their grooves now have a little bit of reddish rust sitting on their surface that comes into contact with the belts. maybe corrosion, I doont know what it is, but it doesnt deform or anything, its just on top, not sticking out either, rather just like a layer. Do you think this could be the cause? I mean I never really looked before the water since I had no reason too.

also I am taking her into berrel on tuesday so maybe they can give me some answers...

well anyway let me know what you think. thanks!

brad
Old 10-03-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know exactly, but mine sounded like it was hissing and it was a leak from the EGR, were it connects to the intake manifold. hope that helps. as far as a ping. that could be a pushrod or somthing. but you wont be sure till you tear it down.hope this helps.
Wesley