Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Luck with 4.10s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Luck with 4.10s?

out of everybody who has had good or bad luck with their 4.10s?I have mine sitting in my room along with a T/A cover. After reading some of the post im worried that i might break them now. i run 315/35 17 DR all the time. might go to a Eagle F1 next time though. Is there a good chance the will break or are their many other people out there running similar set ups i.e Drag radials.? i drag race maybe 10 times a year total.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

they will probably break eventually but hell if you already got it you may as well use it.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

10 bolt? I have a friend that rebuilt his rear end 4 times after putting in 4.10s, still doesnt have a 12/9 bolt. I keep telling him. He wont listen. I would do it, just take it easy out of the hole untill you can get it replaced.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Teching In

I think you should go for it! I just installed my 4.10s and love it. 10 bolts are generally weak but if you take it easy on launches,you will be ok.Also if you are pushing 400+ hp, you need to get a 12 bolt.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 4.10's are doing great!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

newbee quesiton

this isnt the first time ive heard people saying that if you change the gear in a 10 bolt it makes it weaker. why if you have the same power and the same amount of traction does it get weaker with a gear change? is the only gear available for a 10bolt low quality or something? what will actually fail? I wanted to change my gear but ive heard this multiple times so i havent. thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Sell, the parts and get a 12bolt or a 9in. I broke mine 2nd trip to the track. They started to whine crazy after the first trip. I actually froke my 3:42 frirst. Rebuilt it with the 4:10s and broke it again. Trust me get a rear end.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow3hoe2
this isnt the first time ive heard people saying that if you change the gear in a 10 bolt it makes it weaker. why if you have the same power and the same amount of traction does it get weaker with a gear change? is the only gear available for a 10bolt low quality or something? what will actually fail? I wanted to change my gear but ive heard this multiple times so i havent. thanks
There are a few different things that make the 10 bolt weaker. One is the pinion. When you change to a neumerically higher gear ratio, the pinion gear is smaller, has less teeth and thus is weaker. The higher angle from tooth to tooth (because there's fewer) also places greater stresses on the gears. Another reason the 10 bolts break is because youre applying 20% more torque (changing from 3.42 to 4.10). More torque can distort the case and axle tubes. It can also break the actual carrier, or simply twist and shear an axle. Another issue that may not exactly break gears, but it sure dosnt help, is heat. The higher ratio will have things spinning faster and will generate more heat which can fatigue the metal as the heat cycles become greater.

Mostly though, its the use of sticky tires like drag radials. While maybe you were getting away with using the 3.42 and some nittos, add 20% more torque to the equation, and theres a good posibility somethings gonna go boom.

-T
Old 10-05-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
There are a few different things that make the 10 bolt weaker. One is the pinion. When you change to a neumerically higher gear ratio, the pinion gear is smaller, has less teeth and thus is weaker. The higher angle from tooth to tooth (because there's fewer) also places greater stresses on the gears. Another reason the 10 bolts break is because youre applying 20% more torque (changing from 3.42 to 4.10). More torque can distort the case and axle tubes. It can also break the actual carrier, or simply twist and shear an axle. Another issue that may not exactly break gears, but it sure dosnt help, is heat. The higher ratio will have things spinning faster and will generate more heat which can fatigue the metal as the heat cycles become greater.

Mostly though, its the use of sticky tires like drag radials. While maybe you were getting away with using the 3.42 and some nittos, add 20% more torque to the equation, and theres a good posibility somethings gonna go boom.

-T
wow! maybe ill just stick with my 3.23's...thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow3hoe2
wow! maybe ill just stick with my 3.23's...thanks
If you have 3.23's I assume that you have an automatic car and want to move up to 3.73s. Automatics are much easier on 10 bolts than their manual counterparts are. If we pop a clutch too quickly on sticky tires, the shock can shatter a rear end. An A4 car does not have to worry about this. Not to saay that no a4 has broken a 10 bolt, but it dosnt happen as often. Also, I cant tell since i dont see a sig, but if youre still running street tires, you should be fine.

The dangerous combination seems to be M6 cars with 4.10s. That being said, Ive had mine in for almost a month and Ive been beating them up religiously every day. They dont make a sound and theyve held up just fine so far. Granted, im running street tires, but ive definately done some hard launches and powershifting with them. A good percentage of my time since the install as been spent driving sideways.