Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving- do I need cats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moving- do I need cats?

I am currently living in Kansas , and planning on doing cam and header install soon. I am also moving in January. I could possibly be moving to Iowa (Davenport), Illinois (moline), Nebraska, or Minnesota(Minneapolis). I am planning on buying a ORY. When I move will they check to see if I have cats when I change plates? With a 228R cam the car is not going to sound stock, I did not know how picky inspectors are. Any emission worries for these states?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Texas and California seem to be the stifflers on emissions. I bet as long as you have a good tune, you'll be fine. I have friends with off-road y's and they pass no problem. You should be okay, but if you are worried, just get gutted cats.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:13 AM
TECH Veteran

No. Cats are not needed unless you plan to register the car and drive it on public streets.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

No emmissions testing here in Nebraska. When you bring a car in from another state, they just inspect the VIN numbers.
Hardly anybody I know is still using cats here in Omaha. Though we get an occasional crack down for loud exhaust.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a quick question, speaking of California, a friend and I were talking about different headers for my 99 Trans Am M6 and he told me if I get any style header that will move the cat will automatically make it illegal. He said shortie headers will give about 15 rwhp, and will be smog legal, but LT's can free up 40 horsepower, which is a SIGNIFICANT difference. If I were to run LT's with an o2 sim or have 2 sets of pipes to attach to the headers, one with active cats and o2's, and one with no cats (or gutted) and o2 sims for times when I don't have to smog it, which is every 2 years. Please let me know if you guys know any details on this. I REALLY want to run a set of LT's, but if it's going to be a pain in the, I won't even bother. Thanks!

1999 Trans Am M6
4.10 gears, ported MAF, SLP lid, K&N, smooth bellow, FM exhaust, 4" tips, short shifter.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

NO PROBLEMS HERE IN IOWA.. ....true duals dumped at the axle with all the emmisions stuff pulled off....