PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hope this is the right place for this thread p1404 HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hope this is the right place for this thread p1404 HELP.

The car is a 98 Firebird 3.8 5spd...The basic codes should be the same as LS1s though I do believe.

I found an explantion for the code that puts it in terms I understand lol.

-DTC P1404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Closed Position Performance

So does this mean its the EGR valve? I also heard that there was a recall on the 98s smog pumps...Its been about a month or so since I started getting this code but I havent been in a rush to fix it, because I haven't had the extra money and it hasnt seemed to make the car run any different. However I am getting tired of the damn SES light popping on, so its time to get rid of this bastard.

Just dont wanna buy an EGR valve to find out its the smog pump or vice versa.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

BTW I have already pulled the EGR valve off, soaked it in throttle body cleaner and blew it out with an air compressor. I made sure to really soak the pintle valve area and try to get that as clean as I could...The SES light stayed off for about 3days after that...Just thought I would add this lil bit of info.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Nobody? .......I thought this was supposed to be "THE SITE" to come to for tech info.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Got an EGR valve earlier, got it off my buddies 98 TA, since hes doing Heads/Cam etc...Hes getting rid of the Emmissions crap so he gave me his EGR valve, his has 35k or so compared to my 100k...The EGR valves were the same, only difference was the gaskets, the holes in his gasket were a lil bit smaller since his car uses 10mm bolts and mine has 13mm studs...Other than that, the two valves are exactly the same.

So far, so good, no SES light and it seems to run a lil better at idle.

Im keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Just found out that my VIN had a EGR valve recall as well (98 Camaro Z28). I had to fight with a dealer to get it honored, but thats how I'm taking care of it.

I was told that the EGR valve will ultimately not function properly due to the carbon buildup and will either remain closed or open. I will also assume you know that this essentially is something for emission controls, allowing the engine to properly dispose of gases or whatnot.

The differences you may experience, (again, I'm actually not too much of a technical guy, just learning this as I found it recently and learning as I go) as I was told would be that your may experience a varying degree of different idle and even a loss of power due to the build up of carbon, which I forget why.

Is anyone else experiencing this same problem? I think I'm getting a new piece all together, but as it seems it was a major recall and I don't trust this dealership, I definately want to keep up on this.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Launching!

I have a 98 also and have not had an EGR problem. Then again, my car has very low mileage.

A friends suburban had EGR valve problems. I was able to fix it by taking the valve off and using carb cleaner, spraying it into the valve and cleaning it with a Q-Tip and a rag. You can see how the valve contacts the side as you pust the spring up and down. It works like a potentiometer and sends a voltage reading to the PCM to let it know how far open the valve is. Get that contact surface as clean as possible and clear codes. See if it comes back.

You are correct in your assumption about it being an emissions control. It feeds back unburnt exhaust gas - kinda like putting it through the filter one more time. The reason you are getting a variation in idle and power is because you are having a hard time controlling the valve and it may be putting in too much/not as much exhaust gas as it thinks it is. It may be getting stuck open and you are putting in too much exhaust at idle.

Like i said, try to clean off the carbon (it will take some work!) and put it back on. If there was a warranty problem just have the dealer put a new one on for you. Those things are expensive - somewhere around $100 to $150! D'OH!

Lemme know if the dealer replaces it or not. I'm curious.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: I hope this is the right place for this thread p1404 HELP.