Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking Sound? Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking Sound? Help

hey guys, started up my car today and wasn't very happy(92'Ls13rdgen). I heard a knocking sound coming from the engine. It's not real deep, but it's defenitely there. To me that's usually a bad rod or bearing. I'm wondering if a blown head or other gasket could make that sound? Because the car was ran a few times without the fuel being regulated. I'm sure the pressure was too high, but how much I don't know. I will do a compression and vaccum test this weekend to try and find more out. Any help would be great. Trying to find out what that knocking noise is.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The knocking noise you are hearing is probably due to your compression ratio being too high. The air and gas inside your cylinders is actually being ignited by your compression stroke instead of the spark from the spark plug.

The usual cause of this problem comes from aftermarket camshafts that alter OEM specs (in that case, just get your stuff tuned), using different combinations of cylinder heads or pistons, wrong ocatane gasoline, non-functioning EGR system, vacuum leaks, or restricted exhaust systems.

If it turns out to be none of those, then check for piston ring breakage, head gasket distortion, intake valves, distorted exhaust valves, cylinder head cracks, or rod bearing damage. Some of which, I see you are familiar with.

From what I've read in the past, LS1's are pretty notorious for this problem.

Hope you get your stuff fixed. Knock, or ping, can cause some serious damage to your engine (in the long run).

Post 100!

Last edited by LT1 Guy; 10-08-2004 at 01:50 AM. Reason: 100 posts!