Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird stumble at idle....ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default weird stumble at idle....ideas???

i noticed it ever since i did my header swap...which was the first major mod i did besides the air lid. the only thing i touched besides the headers and manifolds was of course the spark plugs which i took out and replaced. i know it sounds like its missing, but i have changed spark plugs twice since then, and it remains. i only feel it at idle.....and the rpms are not dropping or raising....the idle rpm is steady. and of course now it is more noticeable with the tr224 in. i also had it tuned after the cam, so i dont think its a tuning issue. what, besides a spark problem, could cause a little jerk at idle every few seconds? i thought about maybe a bad wire, or maybe a coil pack problem, but i think i would be getting a ses light if was spark related, but maybe im wrong. i just put brand new ngk tr55s in when i got it tuned last month. the car is running super strong, but theres still that little stumble at idle, and its driving me crazy....i have no idea what it could be. this couldnt be an exhaust leak of any kind could it? i only ask cuz it happened ever since my header install.....and the only parts involved there are spark plugs, wires, and headers. help pleeeeez!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my headers installed about 3 weeks ago and tonight while coming home from the beach i was getting a "stumble" at idle. And yes it was the spark plug wire. It was burned by my headers. No ses light just a miss and little backfires and a little shake.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

was the wire burnt all the way thru?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

I was gonna say a burnt wire as well they almost always end up touching 7out10 times on the pass. side. I had a misfire problem and it actually took a few days before it threw a code. If it end up throwing a code and you find out what cyl it is and it is still not the plug or the wire you can try swapping the coilpack with another cylinder,and if it doesn't follow over to that cylinder then try swapping injectors.
Also mine wouldn't throw a code either but then I would let it run with the max a/c on or defrost on in neutral for about 10 min and it would almost always make the light come on. If the light starts flashing than you have a misfire problem. Another thought would be turn your A/C on and if the rpms drop then it could be your IAC.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

funny thing is my 00 A4 ws6 did the same thing STOCK. Just put on headers/exhaust and it quit.... go figure
Old 10-12-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The35thZ
was the wire burnt all the way thru?
No it was not burnt all the way though. There was just a little white dot on the wire. It was at night so i could see the spark going from my wire to my header.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

I had someone install my headers for me...when I got it back it didn't idle too smoothly and it misfired. I ended up taking out the plugs and all 4 on the drivers side were barely even gapped. I replaced them........problem solved.