Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cracked sleeve how to tell??

Old 10-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked sleeve how to tell??

I have a 408ci dry sleeve motor, felpro gaskets, vortech T-trim SC running about 6lbs of boost on 6.0L heads. About 2000 miles on motor.

How can you tell if you have a cracked sleeve or just a blown gasket without taking off the heads???

Are there any tell tell signs its a cracked sleeve vs just a blown head gasket??

Here is what is happening.

cylinder #5
coolant is found in oil
steam coming from oil fill
steam coming from exhaust
compression test on #5 failed

anything else i need to look for??? tuner is on vacation for the next 10 days, so cant take off heads to make sure its not a head gasket until then. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by yano
I have a 408ci dry sleeve motor, felpro gaskets, vortech T-trim SC running about 6lbs of boost on 6.0L heads. About 2000 miles on motor.

How can you tell if you have a cracked sleeve or just a blown gasket without taking off the heads???

Are there any tell tell signs its a cracked sleeve vs just a blown head gasket??

Here is what is happening.

cylinder #5
coolant is found in oil
steam coming from oil fill
steam coming from exhaust
compression test on #5 failed

anything else i need to look for??? tuner is on vacation for the next 10 days, so cant take off heads to make sure its not a head gasket until then. Thanks for the input.
Tough to say. You're going to have to pull the head off and look at the gasket. Don't be supprised if you've got a funky sleeve.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
Tough to say. You're going to have to pull the head off and look at the gasket. Don't be supprised if you've got a funky sleeve.
Thanks anyone else???
Old 10-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Teching In

When you test for compression or do a leak down, leave the plugs out of the #3 and #7 cyl. if the gasket is bad between the cyls. you will hear air rushing out of the plug holes. If you hear air comming from the crancase, could be a sleeve or gasket, if you hear air coming from the cooling system, still could be the gasket but prolly the sleeve. Whatever it is, it ain't good
Good Luck
TC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cracked sleeve how to tell??