Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firing order and plug location question.

Old 10-11-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firing order and plug location question.

Ok, I've not been a technician or mechanic, but I've done my fair share of basic auto work. I read the firing order on ls1's to be 1872 6543. Where is #6 located? I have a p0306 code and she flashed for about 10 seconds. Starting to wonder if I broke another valvespring. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe #6 is the cylinder on the passenger side, 2nd from the back.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I believe #6 is the cylinder on the passenger side, 2nd from the back.
That would be correct.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:28 PM

Could somone post a good quality diagram on this as well?. Thanks
Old 10-11-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redlinez
Ok, I've not been a technician or mechanic, but I've done my fair share of basic auto work. I read the firing order on ls1's to be 1872 6543. Where is #6 located? I have a p0306 code and she flashed for about 10 seconds. Starting to wonder if I broke another valvespring. Thanks.
I had a that exact code. Before I went and replaced all my plugs I just replaced #6. I figured a misfire is normally the plug or wire. Plug didn't fix it.
Next replaced that wire, mind you I had all 8 plugs and wires and injectors waiting to be put in but instead of installing it all at once I wanted to just concentrate on that cyl. Anyway the wire did't cure the problem either.
Next I swapped the coil pack with #4 cyl. hoping the code would follow over to cyl.#4,NOPE. Last thing to do was #6's injector. Still nothing. So basically I went over evrything that would cause a misfire on that cyl. and nothing worked. So I go to put on the rest of my stuff, injectors,plugs,wires. Well when I pulled out # 8(the bitch of all plugs) it was soaking wet with gas. Hadn't fired in a while by the looks of it. Evidently either the actron scanner which I used two diffent ones, or my cars computer was saying it was the wrong cyl. it was #8 the whole time. I thought this was odd,but very glad because evryone was telling me I had a broken valve spring because of what all I had done to cyl #6 and nothing had fixed it.
Just thought I'd share my story
Old 10-11-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sawedoff
Could somone post a good quality diagram on this as well?. Thanks
Do you have a haynes manual? They have a diagram in there. I wish I had a scanner, I would post it up for you.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this what you need?
Old 10-11-2004, 11:10 PM

Thanks!!! A bunch. I've been looking for this!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

Cool. Big time thanks for the help. So, Tranzaman00, was it just the #8 plug was bad or what? I have a XER cam and manley valve springs. Mine occured right after start up as I have a habit of goosing it in 1st right after I pull out of my work parking lot. It has already broken one other valve spring but I haven't heard that gross sound. I'll check those two back plugs on the passenger back side. Those are also the ones I had to put spark plug wire heat shields on. I'll check it this evening. Thanks.
ps- I would hope scanners don't tell you different codes. That would suck.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

One of my techs here at Ford said our equipment (stupid expensive) has shown the wrong cylinder code. Even our WDS tester. ($10,000)
Old 10-12-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redlinez
Cool. Big time thanks for the help. So, Tranzaman00, was it just the #8 plug was bad or what? I have a XER cam and manley valve springs. Mine occured right after start up as I have a habit of goosing it in 1st right after I pull out of my work parking lot. It has already broken one other valve spring but I haven't heard that gross sound. I'll check those two back plugs on the passenger back side. Those are also the ones I had to put spark plug wire heat shields on. I'll check it this evening. Thanks.
ps- I would hope scanners don't tell you different codes. That would suck.

Yep, just a bad plug. I have read other post where this has happened to other people as well. I'm kind of glad to here your tech said the same thing.
What major city are you located near. I'm near wilmington
Old 10-12-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

That's abnormal to have just a spark plug go bad. That's for sure. I'm in Cary NC. I can only hope it's that simple. I'll pull both those back two on the passenger side tonight and see what's up. I'm just happy it wasn't the driver side 02 again!!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Here's the deal. Another broken valvespring on #6, the valve closer to the firewall. Great. These are the Manley nextek? ones from Scoggin Dickey. They overnighted me one free about 2 months ago. I hope this isn't forboding the rest of them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Firing order and plug location question.