Sponsored by:

Absolute speed head problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Absolute polish or not polish

Remember this sale?

"Finally have the 6.0l cnc program up and running, It is a different program than the ls6 even though the ports start there lifes identical from GM. The 6.0l port was designed with the best lows and mids found on a gen3 head today while peaking close to my ls6 head, I still recommend ls6 heads for larger xer type lobes .600 and over my stg2 6.0l head will maximize potential power with more mild lift cams in the .560-.600 range. The flow numbers are as followed on my superflow bench tested at 28 inches on a 3.9 bore
200-155-124
300-216-167
400-264-209
450-286-221
500-301-228
550-314-231
590-318-236
600-320-238
$1499.99 complete
custom compression from 9.5 to 11.0-1, comp Dual springs, Rev 2.055-1.60 valves.
perfect heads for 346 to 408 cubic inch engines

Anyways I recieved the heads and the CC IS NOT polished.
What is up with that?
From what I have read and been told the porting really helps when trying to run high compression. A 12:1 motor will make more power and will beable to run more timing if the CC's are polished. I read in a book at barns and noble that the head will heat up faster and cause knock.
Any theorys here. I know the heads are good heads, just trying to figure out the difference between the polished and non polished setup.
Every other porter polishes the heads. We all know that AS heads are at the top and that is the reason we use them, is this what seperates AS heads from the others?
Sorry I have to post this here Jay, I would just ask you myself except you are near impossible to get in touch with.

Last edited by JZ'sTA; 10-14-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Take them to another shop and have them polished, will save you time at least.
I read some poeple have been waiting 5>6 months for their heads, and you have yours.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jz
Do you have any pics ? I wouldnt mind seeing them. Do they look bad or just not a smooth polish? Before you become unhappy with the heads if you dont mind spending alittle cash get them independantly flowed. There are alot of very polished heads that might look good and dont make power.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very true. The finish being just that, finish. The main thing is for the combustion chamber to be as polished as possible for timing and heat purposes. Super polished heads may look awesome but that may be the only thing they are awesome at. I polish mine because that what I like my heads to look like, as good as possible and also it keeps carbon deposits down later on down the road for better flow later on after the install.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Only areas of the chamber need to be polished not the entire chamber.

Chris
Old 10-13-2004, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

exhaust ports and combustion chamber should be polished. the rough edges of a head start to glow when they get hot. this glow causes detonation. In theory you increase timing until you get KR/det. If that happens just a few degrees later, than it is worth it.

Intake ports are never polished because they use the roughness to cause the fuel to atomize into the chamber.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

you guys think you know to much, I already answered this question. Look at super flows web site you will find a new wet flow tester that tests how the fuel in the air reacts as it enters the cumbustion chamber. I have found by doing research not by asking a bunch of people on this board who think the know it all but know nothing that leaving the rough texture cuases fuel to atomize better in the chamber, It will also create a more even burn, polished chambers make fuel fall out of suspenion and burn uneven. uneven burn in the chambers will cuase detonation.

I have been working on these heads since they came out I have made more power than anyone but people keep questioning, thinking they know more than me
By the way Jeremy, I just finished porting one of the lsx intakes I am sending both back with the 5.3's. The one that goes with the 5.3s is marked. try giving me an email sales@absolutespeedls1.net
Old 10-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Teching In

I didn't think that the fuel hung around long enough in the chamber to "fall out of suspension". Although you could be right considering your track record on return times for head jobs.......
Old 10-13-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Polishing isn't very hard, it's just time consuming. Just do yourself a favor and install the heads the way they are, run them, dyno them, then pull and polish. This way when you change the way they flow you will know what happened. Look at the surface of a golf ball, it's all dimpled up for a reason, air flow.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:57 AM
8 Second Club

My 5.3 heads were not polished in the CC chamber as well-Jay gave me the same answer-it does make sense if u think about it.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn Jay bit your tongue a bit. You should be a little more professional! That was almost as bad as the cry baby post.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jay, although no one questions your professionalism in porting heads, I think you should take some relaxation, yoga or psychiatric help. You are downright rude man. To the point that if I needed heads, i would say forget it, this guy is an A****le.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94form2000z
Damn Jay bit your tongue a bit. You should be a little more professional! That was almost as bad as the cry baby post.
well when theres a bunch of know it alls typing **** about jays heads he tends to get pissed off. The only thing Jay is guilty of is taking too long. but as you can tell by the lack of answered phone calls he is not even taking preorders anymore. Heads will only be sold when they are available. This way he can consintrate more on the shop progress and take care of his 1 and only complaint (time).
Old 10-14-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 94form2000z
Well, I think he's just frustrated by all the "know-it-alls" on this board...

Can't say I blame him one bit for being sharp with his comments!

Ed
Old 10-14-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by EDC
Well, I think he's just frustrated by all the "know-it-alls" on this board...

Can't say I blame him one bit for being sharp with his comments!

Ed
I think he is more frustrated at his workload.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 10-14-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by offaxis
Jz
Do you have any pics ? I wouldnt mind seeing them. Do they look bad or just not a smooth polish? Before you become unhappy with the heads if you dont mind spending alittle cash get them independantly flowed. There are alot of very polished heads that might look good and dont make power.

Acturally the heads look very nice. You can defentially tell there was some time spend on them. The combustion chambers just wern't polished.
I now understand a little more why they aren't it it makes since.

I must admit I dont give 2 ***** about how they look as long as they work. You cant see the damn things anyways when their on the car. I was only worried about performance when creating this post not looks.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by absolute
you guys think you know to much, I already answered this question. Look at super flows web site you will find a new wet flow tester that tests how the fuel in the air reacts as it enters the cumbustion chamber. I have found by doing research not by asking a bunch of people on this board who think the know it all but know nothing that leaving the rough texture cuases fuel to atomize better in the chamber, It will also create a more even burn, polished chambers make fuel fall out of suspenion and burn uneven. uneven burn in the chambers will cuase detonation.

I have been working on these heads since they came out I have made more power than anyone but people keep questioning, thinking they know more than me
By the way Jeremy, I just finished porting one of the lsx intakes I am sending both back with the 5.3's. The one that goes with the 5.3s is marked. try giving me an email sales@absolutespeedls1.net

Thanks Jay for the info.
Again wasn't trying to down grade your heads in any way.
Just had some questions and it is hard when you cant get the answers.
I sent you another email.
Glad to see you are geting caught up.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

JZ

I actually have an early set of Jays 6.0 heads on my car. They were done 2 years ago and were more of a test set of heads when he was trying new stuff to perfect his port design. All I can say is these heads have made awsome power with 3 different cams so far and I know your heads are better than mine . I am sure you will be as happy with them if not more than I have been with mine. I have been talking to jay about upgrading to the newer port design but It is hard to take apart something that works this well even though Jay tells me there is another 10+ hp to be had from the new heads. Good luck with them man and let me know how you make out

Jeremy
Old 10-14-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I've seen more people concerned with getting contact with or an update from Jay. Not a whole lot of know it all stuff posted. He can talk however he likes I could care less. I got my heads from him and have been happy. Had to wait a little while but nothing excessive. I just don't think those that were waiting deserved the comment that is all.