Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True dual setup with one muffler.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 02:35 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True dual setup with one muffler.

I`m going to run a true dual setup over the axel very soon and want to keep a stock look from the rear of my Z. I saw that Magnaflow has a dual/dual muffler that has 2 inlets and 2 outlets that has a straight through X pipe built in. Are there any companys that make a dual/dual straight through muffler without the X pipe that will look stock on my car. Keep in mind I want to look stock but not sacrafice performance. I may just keep the 2 bullet mufflers on the H-pipe but I have had the Troopers pull me over with my cut out with stock exhaust and cats. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think anything but a race muffler will not yeild as good of a flow. It would be a waste of money to run true duals into a catback exaust. You could still run true duals over the axle with two race mufflers and have your stock tips welded on. If I wanted to look stock that is what I would do.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I think anything but a race muffler will not yeild as good of a flow. It would be a waste of money to run true duals into a catback exaust. You could still run true duals over the axle with two race mufflers and have your stock tips welded on. If I wanted to look stock that is what I would do.
Agreed, any stock looking tips will look stock but anyone will know by the sound that it is not a stock exaust
Old 10-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Banned

The reason stock DOHC mustangs sound good is they have room for actual mufflers. If you want a true refined dual sound definitely buy a Mustang.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CrvnTransAm
The reason stock DOHC mustangs sound good is they have room for actual mufflers. If you want a true refined dual sound definitely buy a Mustang.
actually alot of the sound difference is because of the cylinder firing order versus other cars. The mufflers help but not all the reason
Old 10-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Banned

Mustangs got True Duals from the factory, but I thought cylinder firing order was the same for both V8s.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:54 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I`m not going to run it into a cat back exhaust. The muffler has a straight through X made in it. Alot of us run a X pipe and call it true duals so what I was woundering if using this muffler would be any diffrent than a X pipe. It`s straight through and has two inlets on each side in the back and then two outlets in the front that meet inside the muffler just like a X pipe would. I agree about the two mufflers though. I might end up just running two mufflers and say to hell with the stock look. If I can`t get any good replies thats what I`ll probably end up doing. Thanks for all the replies so far
Old 10-15-2004, 03:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Did he really say that

How about you buy the mustang and ill blow by you while your listening to your exaust

On a serious note, I have yet to hear any mustang sound as good as 3" sweet thunders with an X pipe.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

i know what muffler your talking about..p/n:11386. i dont think its a bad idea. this is what your talking about doing right??
Old 10-15-2004, 11:09 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Routing both pipes (2.5" max) over the axle on the passenger side is the way to go.
If the muffler already has an X, you don't need another X-junction. But then again, the muffler's X would be so far downstream that putting the first X may not be a bad idea.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:32 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
i know what muffler your talking about..p/n:11386. i dont think its a bad idea. this is what your talking about doing right??
Actually thats the type of muffler I`m looking for. Is that a magnaflow. That is really straight through without the X built in the muffler.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

who says you cannot get two fill size mufflers under an F-body?

I can still go up higher with them so they don;t hang low but i have been too lazy...
Old 10-15-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't think anyone has actually...haha...he just wanted it to look stock..why? i don't know...it would be more than obvious that it isn't stock when you crank it up or drive by someone
Old 10-15-2004, 01:21 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 777
i don't think anyone has actually...haha...he just wanted it to look stock..why? i don't know...it would be more than obvious that it isn't stock when you crank it up or drive by someone
Yea I know it wont sound stock. I have a cut out now and it dosen`t sound stock at all. Why do I want to look stock........I don`t know thats just the way I want my car to look. I found a shop that said they can run my 3 inch H pipe over the axel. They said they have done 3 inch on F-bodies befor. I guess I`ll see when I get there. Everyone says 2.5 inch is the max over the axel.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:27 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by al
Actually thats the type of muffler I`m looking for. Is that a magnaflow. That is really straight through without the X built in the muffler.
This diagram has a major flaw.
The exhaust wouldn't cross flow like that. That muffler is meant to be used as 2 in, 2 out on the same side.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eww...I have never heard a Ford anything sound as good as a GM anything.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

a little hacking on the hump where the back seats are supposed to go underneath and i hear you can reallt tuck those mufflers... so i've heard...
Old 10-15-2004, 01:58 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Here's my setup.

It came off last week due to need for better ground clearance. (low hanging SLP collectors were more to blame than the X-pipe itself)
Old 10-15-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
This diagram has a major flaw.
The exhaust wouldn't cross flow like that. That muffler is meant to be used as 2 in, 2 out on the same side.
They have the 2 in 2 out either with internal X-over (#11386) or without (#11379). I was looking at it a while back, seems like a possibility would be putting the X muffler in place of the X-pipe if there was enough space underneath, or in back like the diagram and leave out the X pipe altogether.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:48 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Most magnaflow mufflers are straight through designs than can be flipped for clearance.

Not sure on that particular muffler, though.