Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need advice on Street Tire selection...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice on Street Tire selection...

I need to replace my Firehawk SZ50s. Unfortunately Firestone no longer makes the Firehawk tire. It was a good hooking tire, with decent tread wear and had the all important rim guard. I need to order tires this week and was wondering if any of you could suggest any tire <$180 that could meet or exceed the SZ50's stats?

Must have a rim guard, be able to hook decently, last a good bit under normal driving conditions, and not totally fly apart when I do my burn outs. It's a lot to ask, I know. But I was happy with the SZ50s, so there's got to be something out there that can do as well if not better.

Thanks for the input guys,
Mike
Old 10-15-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by buschman
I need to replace my Firehawk SZ50s. Unfortunately Firestone no longer makes the Firehawk tire. It was a good hooking tire, with decent tread wear and had the all important rim guard. I need to order tires this week and was wondering if any of you could suggest any tire <$180 that could meet or exceed the SZ50's stats?

Must have a rim guard, be able to hook decently, last a good bit under normal driving conditions, and not totally fly apart when I do my burn outs. It's a lot to ask, I know. But I was happy with the SZ50s, so there's got to be something out there that can do as well if not better.

Mike
I just ordered 8 245/50/WR16's (4 for my camaro and the other 4 for my mustang) from Tire Rack. They're the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S and they're made for all-season and all-weather high performance driving. They're the highest rated high performance tires on the Tire Rack and they're only $106 per tire. Maybe that's why they're on backorder at every single online tire shop. I just don't know if they have rim guards and how they'll hook up at the track. I do know that they have the highest, if not, one of the highest rated dry traction in Tire Rack. Nice car and nice banner, man.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Red face

Originally Posted by damon_Z
I just ordered 8 245/50/WR16's (4 for my camaro and the other 4 for my mustang) from Tire Rack. They're the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S and they're made for all-season and all-weather high performance driving. They're the highest rated high performance tires on the Tire Rack and they're only $106 per tire. Maybe that's why they're on backorder at every single online tire shop. I just don't know if they have rim guards and how they'll hook up at the track. I do know that they have the highest, if not, one of the highest rated dry traction in Tire Rack. Nice car and nice banner, man.

Thanks bro.

Any other suggestions? I'm gonna look up info on those Pirelli's.

Mike
Old 10-17-2004, 04:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a pair of those Pirellis up front and am so impressed with them I will be buying another pair for the back too. They don't seem like all season tires at all, they work very well in the handling department.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im stupid. What the hell is rim guard. Do the tires bulge so you dont scrape the rim?
Old 10-17-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

try Nitto 555's, not the drag radials, I got my 285/18's for about $180 a piece, otherwise, go onto tirerack and compare the tires that are in your price range. However, if you can in anyway afford it buy Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. They are THE best tire I have ever used.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6WRX
try Nitto 555's, not the drag radials, I got my 285/18's for about $180 a piece, otherwise, go onto tirerack and compare the tires that are in your price range. However, if you can in anyway afford it buy Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. They are THE best tire I have ever used.
I just looked up those GS-D3's in the Tire Rack and they are the highest rated tire in their category that's called something like Maximum Summer High Performance. I know that if I lived somewhere that didn't get snow or if I had the option of switching to winter tires during the snow season, then I'd definitely get the D3's.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Nero's look good and look like they have a rim gaurd. I'll call tomorrow to get the specifics. But they say they're in stock. I call tomorrow to find out for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep em coming, in case these tires don't work out.

Mike
Old 10-18-2004, 06:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Im stupid. What the hell is rim guard. Do the tires bulge so you dont scrape the rim?
Sort of, but it's not noticeable unless you know what you are looking for! I would never buy a tire without it.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Launching!

I've got BF Goodrich KDWS on mine and love them ,they cost around 150.00 each. They hook great are good in the rain and are supposed to work in the snow(hope I won't have too find out). They have a treadwear rating of 400 so they wear good, and have a "rim guard" the bead extends out past the rim so they a very protected.

EDIT: Just noticed last week that Pontiac is putting these on the GTO(atleast the ones I've seen) ,if that means anything.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just wanted to let you know that the Firehawk SZ-50 is still made in 285/40/17, which is slightly wider but fits fine. The difference in price is not signifigant if I remember.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buschman

Mike
Get the GS-D3's. Everything you want except no burnout is needed. The traction is freaking incredible.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looked at all the stats and the Pirelli's looked the best on paper. I ordered a pair and will let you guys know what I think after I run them for a while. Thanks for all the input fellas. Made the decision making process much easier.

Mike