Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Is there anyone who Has Dynoed Holley Power shot or K&N Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Is there anyone who Has Dynoed Holley Power shot or K&N Filter?

Is there any gains from these 2 filters?I reoiled my K&N and got to crazy the first time in 5 years I have over Oiled itI wrecked my MAF and had to have it retuned,The power was not there so I had to buy a new MAF and had my tuner Retune again.Now I have a paper filter in it.If there really isnt any gains in power I will just stay paper...
What are your opinions???Thanks for the info...
Scott
Old 10-16-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smart move with the paper filter. I say stay with it, the K&N and Holley are just marketing tools, you will not see or feel any difference with a "high performance" ( ) air filter
Old 10-16-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I am thinkingThanks
Old 10-19-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While the oil can cause loss of performance and the holley oil is different from the k and n and supposed to be sensor friendly.Also you can clean the maf wire with electical contact cleaner or q tips and rubbing alcohol.So you just wasted your money buying a new maf.
The power diff might be small but seen some minor power results like 5 hp with the k and n type filters.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

hey man i actually gained 1.5mph and dropped my et 2 tenths by removing the damny holley filter. i am thinking about buying a regular filter again and putting a clean one every so often. these filters get messed up after a few months if you ask me.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

We dynoed a stock 98 z28, added a k&n filter and then dynoed it again. It picked up 4.5 hp.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

makes sense to me. The k&n filter is letting in more air, in return is more power. But what other materials are getting thru. I mean, there's other alternatives to the paper filters.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
hey man i actually gained 1.5mph and dropped my et 2 tenths by removing the damny holley filter. i am thinking about buying a regular filter again and putting a clean one every so often. these filters get messed up after a few months if you ask me.
Not on the same day or conditions did that happen by removing a "clean" Holley and putting in a "clean" paper. Again
Old 10-20-2004, 06:46 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I think it was CarCraft that did this test a year or so ago. They did actual flow bench etsting on them. The K&N and Holley were pretty much identical as far as performance, and they both outflowed even the best paper filter by a good bit. HOWEVER, when they tested a dirty Holley and a dirty K&N, they were horrible! A real dirty Holley or K&N is worse than a dirty paper filter for some reason the tests show. But if you keep them clean, and obviously don't over oil and kill sensors, the performance filters are a very good thing!

Difference between K&N and Holley according to the test was negligible. If you have a clear lid, pick the filter that looks better Hope this helps clear some things up!
Old 10-24-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would stick with the paper filter unless you have a mod that results in a wet filter when it rains {the cotton filters seem to hold up to moister better than the paper}.

I can swap my K&N to a paper and see no difference in mph at the track. On the other hand, I almost always see a small increase in mph when I completely remove the filter. I now have a Holley and while I have not tried a paper to Holley comparision,,, I really don't think it would be much different.

I do think that the Holley is better choice {remember, I have both}. K&N tried to kill two birds with one stone by using the same filter in two different applications. On the LS1, you have to use a additional gasket in order to make a airtight seal. Big deally some would say,,,, untill you check your filter and discover that the gasket has loosened up and partially sucked up. The Holley has no jippy additional gasket that "could" loosen up and let in dirt. The Holley also has a smidge more filter area than the K&N.

I know that I didn't really answer you question but those issues might be of concern to you before you buy one or the other.

Last edited by Judd; 10-24-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did back to back dyno pulls with a clean K&N and a new Delco filter and saw no difference.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

well if noone is seeing any different, but like said more air wont hurt, they why not get it just to save the money of a new paper filter. spend 40 bucks now and the next 5 years or so u wont need anything and then u will just need a 10 dollar cleaning kit. just keep it clean, i think its worth it, i have seen too many bad things with paper filters, all 4 of our cars do not have paper filters.

Edit years later and wiser - get a good quality paper filter woth backing thag won't fall apart and get consumed. Better filtration is better on the motor. I dyno'd my car back to back with a new paper filter and no filter at all. I made the same exact max power and torque repeatedly, 480 hp. I expected to get mid-480's with no filter and it did nothing. Fueling and all remained the same. This guy is sticking with a high quality paper and keeping it changed regularly.

Last edited by WS6FirebirdTA00; 04-18-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:50 AM
11 Second Club

Keep the stock filter as they are saying no diference!
Old 11-03-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a hard part with the not over oiling it part, I saturated my Holley filter and I only hit each pleat one time ,,,, I almost went back to paper because I like to overdo things like this but I did not. Hopefully it works out in the end.

Quick Reply: Is there anyone who Has Dynoed Holley Power shot or K&N Filter?