Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can i swap out the dexcool for the "old style" fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default can i swap out the dexcool for the "old style" fluid?

would it be possible if i flushed the system ENTIRELY? i went to the auto parts store and the guy said "if it had dexcool, you can't change to the green stuff because it will eat all your seals".

is this true or can i do it? i have sludge on my "check stick" and don't want my motor to look the same way.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

i did a search and came up blank on what i was looking for before i posted.... so no flaming me!
Old 10-16-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked into this and everyone warns not to mix the two (green and red/orange). However, I was told as long as you got all the red/orange out and flushed it, you could switch to green. I noticed that Prestone now has an Antifreeze that will mix with either one.

However, after a long night of searching I decided that the red/orange was better than the green and I stuck with it in my car.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:29 AM
That's what she said...

:::mobster voice::: big yella's takin ova

why do you want to change?? did your local honda hero tell you that green weighs less and drops temps by 94.2 degrees?
Old 10-17-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the orange stuff is bad about crystalizing and causes clogs in the water paths. It's bad about building up around the coolant holes in the head gaskets. When I removed the heads on my LT-1 there were a few passages that were blocked on the gaskets. Never had that problem with the green stuff. To each his on I guess. As long as you flush the entire system, you should have no problems swapping over.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

Dexcool has organic corrosion inhibitors in it. Specifically for the aluminum engine. Normal green propeline glycol will work, but in the long run Dexcool will protect your engine better. Dexcool may even test good with a hydrometer, but is recomended to change every 50,000 I believe, because the corrosion inhibitors are done.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

The Dex-Cool antifreeze is a silicate-free ethylene glycol coolant/antifreeze. This antifreeze is recommended for all aluminum motors. The old green antifreeze was design for iron block and heads. Those has a silicate which acts like sand that kept the old iron heads and block water passages clean. If the green is run in aluminum it will cause more problems down the road, hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

As long as you flush the cooling system completely you will be fine. You will now have to change every 2/30,000. Millions of other car's have and do continue to run on conventional coolant without any ill effects. My shop has done hundred's of dex-cool to green, with less problems after the green than leaving dex in. Oh by the way I run Valvoline G05 in my car.

Here's an funny tid=bit about dex but it doesnt apply to our car but you will get the point. One Of the additives of dex-cool soften's Plastic's. Can anybody say Intake manifold gasket!!!!

Oh and just a thing about the new Prestone Antifreeze. It is okay to top off in an emergency but you should get it changed. Taking 2 antifreeze's(Differernet technolgy) and mixing them leads to faster corrosion of parts. It doesnt show up in the short term but long term it will. But Prestone wont tell you that. JFYI. John
Old 10-17-2004, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

One Of the additives of dex-cool soften's Plastic's. Can anybody say Intake manifold gasket!!!!

John
That's good information, but no anti-freeze comes into direct contact with the intake gaskets on the Gen III engines. Unless of course you have a catastrophic failure which at that point it would be irrelevant.

I still don't see enough solid facts and documentation that prove the green coolant is better compared to Dex-cool. I've had no problems with my 98, but I do change it yearly. In fact, the green stuff corroded the aluminum intake on my old 305 TPI car so bad the coolant was spouting upward like a fountain! After removing the intake and looking at the affected area you could see the accumulated sludge and the metal would just fall apart upon touch.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Here's an funny tid=bit about dex but it doesnt apply to our car but you will get the point. One Of the additives of dex-cool soften's Plastic's. Can anybody say Intake manifold gasket!!!!

You read right around what I was saying. "It doesnt apply to our cars"

Now you bring up a good point. First is if the Dex-cool is so good why are you changeing it every YR!!!!!! If you can explain your reasons on that one.

Secondly you said that I antifreeze had corroded the intake on your tpi car away. So were you changeing the anti-freeze every yr on that car too. I dont think so. I betch it was even changed for yr's.

I've seen dex-cool cars go from nice looking to nasty in about 3 months or 3,000 miles. My Mom's car was a dex-cool blazer that we kept a tight eye on every oil change. 3 yr and 45,000 miles later the antifreeze had to be changed. By the label the coolant was supposed to be good for 5/150,000 miles. Most cars its not!!!! Car that put alot of miles(20,000+) on it seems dex last longer than cars that are driven in stop and go. Most car I see dont make the time anyway do to other failure of cooling system parts have the anti-freeze being drained. John
Old 10-17-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

I just have to chime in, this is a great thread. Keep it coming!
Old 10-17-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Actually the orange stuff is bad about crystalizing and causes clogs in the water paths. It's bad about building up around the coolant holes in the head gaskets. When I removed the heads on my LT-1 there were a few passages that were blocked on the gaskets. Never had that problem with the green stuff. To each his on I guess. As long as you flush the entire system, you should have no problems swapping over.
my buddies GTP was ALLLLLL clogged up. thats why i was looking at changing. that and my car was pretty clogged up
Old 10-17-2004, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Ojustracing - Yes I changed the coolant every year on the 305 TPI motor,it lasted 130K miles with one major failure which was the intake, sorry to disappoint you. As for my current setup, I've swapped cams 4 times and heads twice in the last 3 years. There was no sludge accumulation in the heads, water pump, radiator or t-stat. To each their own, but I will stick with Dex-cool for now.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Blkta you said it To each there own. You had one failure of a part while using the green antifreeze. Damm that stuff is junk, it must be no good, its terrible it will corrode your alum.
Wow you just changed my postion on this subject. Im going to issue a memo to all my workers that we must not use green antif-freeze any more because someone just had a part failed, that might not of been the anti-freeze fault.

I guess you havent worked on many dex-cool cars with problems, and im not even a OEM dealer that would see the same amount of cars.

To anybody reading this yes you can run green anti-freeze if the cooling system is completly flushed, but your service interval will now be 2/30,000. Oh I also recomend distiled water instead of tap water. Or any of the premixed from the bottle. John
Old 10-17-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

my radiator fluid is changed once a year, or every 4-5k miles.

i just used tap water to flush the system. (hose in there with the car running and plug taken out a bit)
Old 10-17-2004, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLKTA
That's good information, but no anti-freeze comes into direct contact with the intake gaskets on the Gen III engines.
Which is exactly why he stated this information doesn't apply to our cars.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Steve, glad to see you come over to this board. Is this just an occasional short visit or will you be here for a while?
Old 10-18-2004, 05:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigdsz
Steve, glad to see you come over to this board. Is this just an occasional short visit or will you be here for a while?
Thanks, partner! I'll be visiting on a regular basis from now on though I'm back to having responsibilities elsewhere after a short hiatus.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Banned

Why not try toyota red coolant or extended long life pink coolant? Its silicate free and hydro whatever oat technology same as dex cool but we rarely have radiator problems like dex cool.

The green coolant should be alright but it turns acidic fairly quick and should be changed ever 30k. It says this too in the owners manual.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

i'll hafta looking into the toyota red stuff! didn't think about that

Quick Reply: can i swap out the dexcool for the "old style" fluid?