Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake

which is better? a maf with an air filter or a cold air intake. I don't know much about the cold air intakes but my friend just got one for his cobra and says he likes it alot. And what does one usually cost? Thanks for any responses
Old 10-17-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

No car is the same so what is good for a Cobra does not mean it is good for an LS1.

First, do not upgrade your MAF;it will make your car run like crap. Our cars with the stock MAF will run perfectly fine

Second, a filter is not a mod.

Third, I have a CAI for my car, it really did nothing lol. As for induction mods for an LS1, I highly recommend getting a lid. Any lid will do but get one. A lid will cost 95 dollars.

If you do end up getting a CAI, get the Fast Toys Ram Air(FTRA) version of it or the Super Sucker Ram Air(SSRA) one. If you have a WS6 get the BGRA ram one. My SLP CAI cost 130 dollars, the SSRA/FTRA is about 200 dollars.

Hope this helps a bit

-Todd
Old 10-17-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

I got the Volant CAI a week ago and I'm very happy with it.

I installed the IAT sensor on the Y tube though, where it should be

I have some pics on my site if you want to take a look. Check sig.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

This is my custom intake that I designed. It is the same principle as ws6freak's volant but I make mine a lot cheaper. He put his IAT sensor in the y like it should be. They come in the box that is built around the system instead of in the y. To me this is a poor design and I have also heard that they fit loose a lot of the time. I didn't put a box around mine because I figure if the K&N FIPK doesn't have it then I don't need it. Check out my pics
I guess you could say it incorperates ideas from both designs but is my own system.
Attached Thumbnails cold air intake-100_4541.jpg   cold air intake-100_4543.jpg   cold air intake-100_4545.jpg   cold air intake-100_4546.jpg   cold air intake-100_4543.jpg  

Old 10-17-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

I've got a BGRA on my WS6...........technically it is a CAI since the air comes in directly through the two nostrils. I've read that guys have seen huge drops in Intake Air Temps (IAT) and it obviously makes sense.

I've also seen guys that have regular TA's cut through the lip of the hood to allow air to pass through the two nostrils in the front bumper. If you have a TA look carefully, it will function just like a WS6 hood if you do this mod. Of course....this will take cutting and a lot of planning.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ssmaro
which is better? a maf with an air filter or a cold air intake. I don't know much about the cold air intakes but my friend just got one for his cobra and says he likes it alot. And what does one usually cost? Thanks for any responses
get the SSRA
Old 10-17-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert
I've got a BGRA on my WS6...........technically it is a CAI since the air comes in directly through the two nostrils. I've read that guys have seen huge drops in Intake Air Temps (IAT) and it obviously makes sense.

I've also seen guys that have regular TA's cut through the lip of the hood to allow air to pass through the two nostrils in the front bumper. If you have a TA look carefully, it will function just like a WS6 hood if you do this mod. Of course....this will take cutting and a lot of planning.

I was thinking about doing that with my air intake I designed. The filters line up perfect with the two nostrils. You are talking about cutting the area that is around th u shaped hood latch, not the latch itself but the u part that is connected to the hood that the latch latches to.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
This is my custom intake that I designed. It is the same principle as ws6freak's volant but I make mine a lot cheaper. He put his IAT sensor in the y like it should be. They come in the box that is built around the system instead of in the y. To me this is a poor design and I have also heard that they fit loose a lot of the time. I didn't put a box around mine because I figure if the K&N FIPK doesn't have it then I don't need it. Check out my pics
I guess you could say it incorperates ideas from both designs but is my own system.
where did you get the tubings to hook everything up and the two breathers filters? can you take pictures showing the breather lines hook ups? Can you put a list of the parts u used? dont have enough money to buy a cold air! thank you

Quick Reply: cold air intake