Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb Question??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Question??

I'm no retard about cars, just confused..After i spun a rod bearing in my trans am a mechanic told me my engine is done... I thought stroking it would give it all new internals and that would fix the problem..
Then i seen him in the mall and was filling him in on the project and he said that wont work..The motor is fried!! So im pissed as hell, and im second guessin myself because the car will be finished in anput 4 days..I'm curious to know if he is right!!

Well is stroking the motor gooing to fix the problem or not?
If not what needs to be done?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Which bearing did it spin? If a main spins, it can damage the block and in which case he may be correct. If it was a rod bearing that spun, he's full of @%$#!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Was the block damaged? How many metal shavings were in there? I've heard if the cam bearings get damaged beyond repair the block is pretty much toast, but I could be wrong.

For peace of mind you might pick up a new lq4 iron block and get it bored 030 then make that one into a stroker.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

No I spun a rod bearing, NOT a main bearing, and thats y i was confused..I dont know if the block was damaged, how do i tell without rppin it apart..??
Old 10-18-2004, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

The guys doin my cat havent told me anything about block damage, i suppose if there was damage they would call...I pick it up on Sunday (Hopefully), and i ll keep ls1tech posted!!!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you know it is a rod bearing unless it's been apart? If a cam bearing were to come apart then yes it could damage the block - the bearing is in direct contact with the block. If a main spun it could damage the block - it is in direct contact with the block. If a rod spun but didn't throw a rod, then the mechanic is full of ****. The crank is probably hammered, but if you're gonna stroke it, then who cares? Tear it apart, take it to a machine shop to be magnafluxed and mic it out. If it's good, build it up.