Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage and leaving the engine running?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mileage and leaving the engine running?

I have been looking for a new truck lately and have been debating on either getting the new duramax or the 6 liter in an HD truck. I put a lot of miles on my vehicles which is one reason I was thinking diesel and the other was if I had to sleep in the truck if I was away from home I could leave it running for long periods of time with the AC on.

My question is how bad is it to leave a 6.0 running for long periods of time if it just sitting at an idle, also what kind of mileage could be expected out of one long term?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just spring for the diesel. It will last much longer and you'll get better mileage and pulling power. Both my dad and grandpa have chipped diesels and they are a blast to drive!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My friend just bought a Duramax 6.6 liter Turbo Diesel and that thing is sweet. Diesel's will last for a very long time, into the hundreds of thousands of miles, and As fas as I know of they are good at idle. We had my friends running at idle for a few hours with one break inbetween. Also you live in texas and you wont have to worry too much about cold start ups