Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blocks and other stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 07:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blocks and other stuff.

So I've been reading around searching. I just want to know if there are any write ups anywhere on stuff like 383 strokers, the 408's and **** like that. Hell what does stroked mean. I don't quite understand all of it. I want to learn about what all the differences are. I hear people talking about resleeving their LS1's or something like that. Guess I just want to know if there any good write ups about all this stuff. Or if anyone is bored and wouldn't mind typing up a little something LOL. They call me Johnny 5. "I need more input, more imput"
Old 10-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't know a good place to find info other than reading car mags and on-line forums. There are some good books out there, but I dont know them off hand.

Maybe I can answer some questions...

Originally Posted by WTB-a-Hawk
what does stroked mean.
Its when you install a crank/rod/piston combination with a longer "throw". The pistons travel further in their bores which means more displacement. Sometimes the block has to be clearanced so that the new rotating assembly doesnt contact the block (ex: rod hitting underside of cylinder).

I hear people talking about resleeving their LS1's or something like that.
The LS1 is an aluminum block but the cynlinders are lined with an iron "sleeve". This limits how far you can overbore. Usually when people resleeve a block, its to replace a damaged sleeve (there are other reasons, but thats all I can think of now....maybe sleeves that are already overbore?)

They call me Johnny 5. "I need more input, more imput"
Short Circuit (1 & 2)...Good Movies.
....Movies in the 80's are generally better than today's.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:41 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Usually when people resleeve a block, its to replace a damaged sleeve
Be cheaper to get a new block.

You get it sleeved to get a bigger bore.

Go to the internal forum and read up. Spend a week there, and you'll know twice what you do now.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=VIP1]

Its when you install a crank/rod/piston combination with a longer "throw". The pistons travel further in their bores which means more displacement. Sometimes the block has to be clearanced so that the new rotating assembly doesnt contact the block (ex: rod hitting underside of cylinder).
QUOTE]
So I take it that sponsors sell stroker kits that which is where the 383 stroker comes from because it will give more displacement? Am I getting this right? What could consitute someone to have their block clearanced? I know you say when a rod is hitting underside of the cylinder. When would this happen?
Old 10-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Okay was looking at some sponsors sites and see they sell different kits. Like the 383, 395, and 408. I also see that different kits come with different pistons like, domed, reversed dome, dished, and flat-top pistons. Whats the difference in these pistsons? So saying I bought the 383 stroker it. That would make my engine be 383 cubic centimeters, and I could say I have a 383 Stroker? Or would that mean you have a 383 block with the stroker kit?What kind of gains do these kits do. Do people need to have different Heads before buying these kits? Sorry for all these questions. Thanks for any replies.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The 383 stroker kit (actually 382 for the LS1) will increase the LS1's displacement from 346ci to 382ci. Then you can say that you have a 382 Stroker.

This next bit is hard for me to explain....
In a stroker kit, the rods are moving in a "wider arc" than stock to push/pull the pistons further in the cylinder. In this situation, depending on the kit, the block may have to be clearanced in the path of the rods so that they dont contact the block.

Think of this way....
Imaging that you are looking at the front of the engine and it is made of a clear substance so that you can see through it. As the crank rotates, the bottoms of the rods are moving in a circular moting with the crank. A stroker crank has a longer "throw", therefore the circle that the bottoms of the rods moves in is larger which could place the rod too close the block or even contact it. The same can be said about the crank.

It all depends on the kit. You need to ask the manufacterer these questions before you buy anything.

Pistons...
Domed Piston: The top is bulged up
Dished Piston: The top is sunken in
Flat-top Piston: The top is flat
Reverse-Dome Piston: ??? -- maybe they mean dished

Heads...
Dunno if you need to replace heads....I don't think so.

Gains....
More HP and more Torque. Remember the saying..."There is not replacement for Displacement".

On another note....
I think you're reaching the end of my knowledge on the subject, but feel free to ask more questions and I'll see if I can get you the answers. The internal engine section is a great place to get some info on this topic.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-19-2004 at 05:09 PM.