Sponsored by:

Opinions on a high mile 1998 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on a high mile 1998 LS1

Hello all,
This is my first post, but i have been reading for a while now. I have come across what i think is a good deal, but i would like som input. I am only 16 years old, but i hope that this community will not look down on me because of my age. Before i was able to drive i was into imports, but then i brove a honda, then drove a mustnag GT and i realized that i need to stay on this side od the sea. I have come across a 1998 Firebird with an LS1. The man that is selling it is trying to make the downpayment on his house and is selling it for $6500. He said the the price is pretty negociable. It is silve with grey leather interior. Its an automatic (is that a big downside to these cars?) now THE CATCH: the car has 182K miles on it. He commuted from sacromento to san jose every day, so all the miles were highway miles. The only modifications are a b&m shift kit and a flowmaster exhaust. What do you guys think? stay away? go for it? Thanks all
-Unstopable-
Old 10-19-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Unstopable
Hello all,
This is my first post, but i have been reading for a while now. I have come across what i think is a good deal, but i would like som input. I am only 16 years old, but i hope that this community will not look down on me because of my age. Before i was able to drive i was into imports, but then i brove a honda, then drove a mustnag GT and i realized that i need to stay on this side od the sea. I have come across a 1998 Firebird with an LS1. The man that is selling it is trying to make the downpayment on his house and is selling it for $6500. He said the the price is pretty negociable. It is silve with grey leather interior. Its an automatic (is that a big downside to these cars?) now THE CATCH: the car has 182K miles on it. He commuted from sacromento to san jose every day, so all the miles were highway miles. The only modifications are a b&m shift kit and a flowmaster exhaust. What do you guys think? stay away? go for it? Thanks all
-Unstopable-
well dude you kinda going into a new frontier there, teh final frontier where no man has aver gone before, lol just kidding. 182k is a little high, the price? i'll say try to get it lower to like 6k or so. If teh care has been perfectly taken care for it should be fine, just done expect it to perform like one with 20k on it, as far as teh car being auto thats actually a plus for drag racing or if you just want all out speed.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zamboxl
well dude you kinda going into a new frontier there, teh final frontier where no man has aver gone before, lol just kidding. 182k is a little high, the price? i'll say try to get it lower to like 6k or so. If teh care has been perfectly taken care for it should be fine, just done expect it to perform like one with 20k on it, as far as teh car being auto thats actually a plus for drag racing or if you just want all out speed.
Thanks for the reply. From the sound of the man has taken good care of it, but i wont know that untill i go see it. Its good to know that the auto is a plus for these cars, even though there is nothing like going through the gears yourself. I think i would not have any problem getting the price to 6k or maybe even 5.5k. If i were to by it and do an engine rebuild, what companies make forged internals at a decent price (or does a decent price not exist?)
Old 10-19-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

eh, i dunno, thats alot of miles. i would pass.

i sound like an old man but i'd save for a few more years, by that time they will have depreciated that much more and you'll also have that much more in your pocket for a better deal.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say go for it..ur 16..i got mine when i was 17...and ive never looked back..yeh im in debt but im still loven it..look at it as an investment..

i say go for it get it for 5.5k
Old 10-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by msbz_ls1
id say go for it..ur 16..i got mine when i was 17...and ive never looked back..yeh im in debt but im still loven it..look at it as an investment..

i say go for it get it for 5.5k
The reason this car is so appealing is i have a job (ans i have had once since i was 15.5) and i have the cash to pay for it. And as for waiting a few more years to save money, i dont think i could last that long without a car. I mean ive been waiting since i was 10 to get one. Now that i drive the itch is even more persistant to by one
Old 10-19-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

**** if u got cash..>GO FOR THE GOLD .....i had just started working and wanted a reason to work so i got it...im still 17...hopefully its ligitmitally mine on my 19th birthday
Old 10-19-2004, 11:40 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buy it and do a rebuild or forged shortblock. FWIW my 98 motor @ 96k.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:54 PM
That's what she said...

thanx alot jrp, mines at 95.5k. real confidence booster you are lol.

if you dont think the guy ragged it, id get it. i got mine @ 85k from a woman. it runs like a champ. :knock on wood:
Old 10-19-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a great starter car if you ask me. Just be prepared for a rebuild.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know it's not the same but my truck has 160k and runs really good. I drive it pretty nice but I get into the pedal sometimes. 182k is alot if you like it get it. As long as he hasn't ragged it out you should be good. You just gotta be nicer to the ones with high mileage.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
Who is a good supplier for forged engine parts, or new short block as you suggested?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Who is a good supplier for forged engine parts, or new short block as you suggested?
Just do a bit of searching..
Most of the sponsors carry the parts that you'll be needing ----->
Old 10-20-2004, 12:57 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Mileage smileage....go for it
Old 10-20-2004, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. From the sound of the man has taken good care of it, but i wont know that untill i go see it. Its good to know that the auto is a plus for these cars, even though there is nothing like going through the gears yourself. I think i would not have any problem getting the price to 6k or maybe even 5.5k. If i were to by it and do an engine rebuild, what companies make forged internals at a decent price (or does a decent price not exist?)
well aas far as a decent price check out ebay but don't expect ot get top quality there thou. As far as forged internals, when i rebuild my engine like 10 month ago i couldn't find jack i check the sponsors, check chevy hignperformance racing, nothing the only place i found internal componets for the ls1 was at gm dealerships and that was the same stock junk i was tying to replace. so i just put the same old stuff back in i was dissapointed but i wasn't going to pay $800 some dollars for stock pistons, plus the rods. Now iam seeing a few more things so if you do that now you should be able to find the stuff just don't expect them to be readilly abailable ( unless you building a stroker) or to cheap either.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sorta in the same boat you are.

Check out:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/227569-what-mileage-stay-away.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/210270-engine-holds-high-mileage-better-ls1-lt1.html

Reading material for you

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/210023-big-decision-ls1-lt1.html
Old 10-20-2004, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

My 98 Z28 has 116K miles. It runs and drives great and does not use any oil whatsoever. Still gets 20+ mpg and runs consistent mid 13s with my big butt in it at 280lbs. I say bring someone with you and check it out really good and see if he has any maintenance records for the car. Pull the radiator cap and look inside for good clean coolant and no corrosion. Check the oil dipstick see if the oil is cooked on the stick, helps to confirm regular oil changes. Pull the oil fill cap and crank the engine when its dead cold, look for smoke out of the valve cover for blowby and out the exhaust for valve stem seals or ring wear. Check and smell the transmission fluid for brown or burnt smelling fluid. Dont be afraid to spend a little time checking it out thoroughly! Good Luck!
Old 10-20-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I'm torn with what to tell you but I can say I think you'd be better off in a 94-97 LT1 car with 70K on it at the same or less price. That way you could enjoy the car at 16 like you want to without the worry of a high mileage "fragile" drivetrain. And if the 4L60E trans in that car is OE and not rebuilt, it's on a wish and a prayer too. would start with a lower mile car. I bought my 98 a year and a half ago with 76K on it for 10K. Better deals are out there. Keep looking and good luck!
Old 10-20-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm kind of against it. If you're 16 and have $6500 sitting around for a car, why not do one of two things:

Use at LEAST $5,000 as a down payment on a MUCH lower mileage LS1 car, and have the remaining $1500 leftover to have as backup in case you lose your job or something, and for car payments

Or save up your $6500, save up a few years, and either buy one in cash later or use like 7 or 8 grand as a down payment, and get an '02 or something? Common sense should tell you NOT to buy a 1998 car with 182 thousand miles on it!
Old 10-20-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
Not to start an argument with you JRP But at 182k miles, I'm sure there's going to be more concern with that car than just the engine. Even a forged engine won't save him from the 182k old drivetrain and suspension/chasis

Quick Reply: Opinions on a high mile 1998 LS1