New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new ticking noise freaking me out...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new ticking noise freaking me out...

hey guys-
first off im fairly new to the ls1 scene. i already searched and didnt find anything like my situation. yesterday i noticed a ticking noise that started after i swapped out the stock tape deck with a cd player. the tick gets faster with the rpms and no performance has been lost. its a 1998 m6 z28. only mods are ram air hood and intake, cat back exhaust, b&m shifter and some suspension work. never missed a shift or hit the rev limiter. kinda freaking me out. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

robby
Old 10-20-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Well...what exactly is ticking? Is it something from the engine? Suspension? Stereo?
Old 10-20-2004, 07:07 PM
Launching!

its the engine for sure... havent gotten a chance to listen around though.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

I had a ticking noise in my engine too. I knew it was one of my pushrods so I decided it was a good excuse for a cam. When I took out my pushrods one of the pushrods was BENT. I'm not talking about just a little. So maybe thats whats going on in your's. Good excuse to take everything out and get a cam.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's probably a bomb! Just joking! I have the same problem, although I think mine is a header leak. I am going to do a cam swap soon so I will be replacing the pushrods, I may have a bent one. That ticking noise is annoying and kind of embarassing. Keep us posted if you find out anything. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Are you POSITIVE it is from the engine compartment? Could easily be interference coming accross your speakers. New to the site and don't disagree with the others, but make sure you listen under the hood, inside with windows up etc. My WS6 does the same thing right now, ticks that increase with RPM. Mine is due to the clutch going out on my A/C compressor. (Only happens with the A/C on or selected on defrost).
Old 10-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Launching!

110% positive its not speakers. they dont even work right now because my headunit is pre amp only. which means it doesnt have internal amps to drive the speakers. i wish it was that. how long is the job to swap pushrods? what kind of pushrods should i look into getting? thanks for the replies.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

first thing check your plugs, and the wires, it could be a missfire that causes ticking noise also, check that out first, then if it aint that then maibe a pushrod, a badly seated valve, actually more like a bad valve seat, or a whole sh!tload of things. So check the plugs first.

My also does the same thing, iam pretty sure it's a bad valve seat since thats what it was before i fixed it but i din't put a new one in so probably the old one came out again damnit off with the heads again.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddys ws6 was doing this the other day, he had a bad plug wire grounding out. check those out.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Launching!

will try that... thanks for the input. let me know if anything else comes to mind
Old 10-21-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

could also be an exhaust leak, maybe a manifold gasket on its way out , just an idea, good luck
Old 10-21-2004, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a Tick can be literally thousands of this...from a push rod,to a manifold leak to a valve spring to a little bug that sucks your blood and you find in the woods....

dont be afraid to open your hood(thats why those engineers at gm put hoods on there)
the three most important tools any mechanic has are his eyes, ears ,and brain.
look for anything tapping on anything else. listen for which side it is comeing from.
listen more closely to the sound once you find the area its in.. is it REALLY a tick or a sharp hiss that sounds like a tick when you back you ear away? if it is definatlly your valve train then get an old antana and put the ball end in your ear and the other side touch the valve cover the noise is comeing from... (it works like a stethescope) you will be able to tell which vavle it is comeing from. (old trick)

isolate it further and get back to us with more info we can help more
Old 10-22-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tomaSS
It's probably a bomb!
Old 10-22-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
a Tick can be literally thousands of this...from a push rod,to a manifold leak to a valve spring to a little bug that sucks your blood and you find in the woods....

dont be afraid to open your hood(thats why those engineers at gm put hoods on there)
the three most important tools any mechanic has are his eyes, ears ,and brain.
look for anything tapping on anything else. listen for which side it is comeing from.
listen more closely to the sound once you find the area its in.. is it REALLY a tick or a sharp hiss that sounds like a tick when you back you ear away? if it is definatlly your valve train then get an old antana and put the ball end in your ear and the other side touch the valve cover the noise is comeing from... (it works like a stethescope) you will be able to tell which vavle it is comeing from. (old trick)

isolate it further and get back to us with more info we can help more
couldn't have said it better my self.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaberwaki

hey, smart a** director!
Old 10-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Launching!

lol thanks guys. now theres somethin else though. this morning it was colder than it has been the rest of the week and for the first few minutes before the car warmed up it was squeaking intermittently with the rpms just like the tick. but it quit after it got up to operating temperature. but like i said i havent had time to check it out so it could be anything. thanks for the input.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scifone
lol thanks guys. now theres somethin else though. this morning it was colder than it has been the rest of the week and for the first few minutes before the car warmed up it was squeaking intermittently with the rpms just like the tick. but it quit after it got up to operating temperature. but like i said i havent had time to check it out so it could be anything. thanks for the input.
night that be the tensioner pulley? or belt? guys?