Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it bad to run open headders??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad to run open headders??

What are the pros and cons of open headers?? is it going to hurt anything in the long run etc.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2K-Z28
What are the pros and cons of open headers?? is it going to hurt anything in the long run etc.
Do you mean just to run to the exhaust shop? or are you going permanently run open headers?

That **** is LOUD and obnoxious.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
Do you mean just to run to the exhaust shop? or are you going permanently run open headers?

All the time, just wondering because Im doing a cam/head swap and have headders to put on with loudmouth, i think it would sound better with just headders than to put the loudmouth back on
Old 10-20-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28Venom

Its not bad if you dont mind buying new 02 sensors! Also it will run like **** if you keep the 02s plugged in.

Brandon
Old 10-20-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worst part will be how bad you ALWAYS smell like fuel.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

Put some 16" extensions on the collectors and you'll be good to go. If you don't the O2s will be sucking air on decel and you'll have some major issues. I can tell you that the car will probrably louder than you think. I sometimes cruze around town with the extensions on and it's down right unbarable. It scares the **** out of people though.

For the street just do an X-pipe true dual set up and dump it at the axel. The car will be loud but sound good and if you go to the track much it will take 15 minutes to slide the exhaust off and put on the header extensions.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove to the exhaust shop with open headers, a 40 minute drive, and it was a nightmare. I had a pounding headache when I got there. Everyone I drove by gave me evil looks. The car vibrated so bad I couldnt see out the rear view mirror, and it felt like my seats had built in massagers. Also, it won't be healthy for your hearing. The car also won't run very well without tuning. Then when you get pulled pver you are screwed. If its temporary then okay, but I couldn't stand open headers, and I like my cars LOUD.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I too like my car LOUD, therefore I loved it with open headers... with modderation. It is true you will eventually get a headeache not neccisarily from the noise but from the vibration. True your gas milage will be total crap but as far as impressing and scaring people, nothing works better. Even the cool-***, pimpin, thugged out home boys that walk past, as soon as the car cranks up, they are pulling their sagging drawers up from their ancles and looking around to see if anyone else saw them jump like a nancy boy. In short, if you dont drive your car very much or for very long distances, its okay, if its a daily driver, you wont want it like that very long. GO WITH AN XPIPE, same beautiful tone and loudness with none of the rasp.
-JOSH
Old 10-21-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread makes me want to run open headers again and drive by people who have those annoying bumble-bee Civics that come home at all hours of the night/morning
Old 10-21-2004, 05:05 PM
dug
Banned

Yeah, me too. Itd be fun to drive around with open headers for a day. Sounds like a trip.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

It wont majorly damage anything, but Fumes + poor gas mileage=

I wouldn't permanently run open headers, but definitly for a week or so So...Oh yeah, u will hate the sound of headers+LM!!
I would suggest mufflers instead of that resenator
Old 10-21-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even though open headers was way to loud for me, I still had to start my car up and listen to it without the y-pipe. I would be afraid of getting used to it then wanting to keep them open 24/7. I imagine a few weeks with them open and you won't want to go back.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

i have a question.....what "major issues" could u have if u run them open continually? i ran mine open for a few weeks, and i think i may have to get new o2 sensors. but what major issues are u talkin about?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

If the o2 sensors are plugged up and you are running open headers the frersh air will make the PCM think its running crazy lean. The computer will max out your trims thrwo a code and make the car run pig rich potentially if lef unchecked may wash down your cylinder walls and dilutes the hell out of you oil. The car runns like *** because it is loading up and in my case it didnt want to pull over 2k when I did that. Too loud, too rich and not worth the novelty to run them open for too long. A few days I can see but not permanetly unless you intend on dumping te o2 and runnnign in open loop all the time.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

what i did was zip tie up my front 02's and plug the rear 02's into the collectors so they wouldnt drag.

Quick Reply: Is it bad to run open headders??