Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shuddered at 110mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shuddered at 110mph

Car:99 z28 a4

I was coming back from college and this maxima starts to ride my rear. No one infront of me so I gas the car to get him off of me. I go WOT, going about 70, Right when the the speedometer gets to 110 the car just starts to shudder , I honestly thought it was about to die out on me, it just screamed "Be at my mercy human, I hate you". I couldnt beleave it, long day at college, I am tired, this cant be happening. It didnt die out, thank god.

It was like a hicup. It lunged forward and than stopped and than goes forward and than stops. I quickly got off the throttle and slowed down to 60. It drove fine the rest of the way as I stayed at 60 the whole way. I am definetly going to have it checked out, something like this never happened to me.

I wish I had looked at the RPMs, I realized it downshifted and held the gear a little longer, and than right when it up-shifted, almost immediately the hicups came.

What could the problem be? I am hoping to god its not a tranny problem.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds to me like you were hitting the mph cut off.I know on the Z's when bought new,they could be purchased with non Z-rated tires.If your car had this option it will cut off at a certain mph.Im not sure what that is,but im sure someone will chime in.

"edit"I forgot to ask if you've had your car above those speeds before?If you have then ignore what i said,then i'm not sure what it could be.

Last edited by WhiteRhino; 10-20-2004 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

I think I remember going 120 before, that was my higest top speed I went. It just occured to me that my check gauges light came on because I was low on gas. Could that have caused the shuddering? Maby the car wanted to conserve the gas???
Old 10-20-2004, 08:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it was sucking air that might cause a misfire or two
Old 10-20-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

The speed limiter is around 115 or 116, something like that. If you were around there it could have been that if your car originally came with the non-Z rated tires. Otherwise, your car just hates you.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

Im gonna say your car didn't come with the optional GSC tires and that you hit the speed limiter. Take it back out there and try it again just to make sure.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Flawless
Car:99 z28 a4

I was coming back from college and this maxima starts to ride my rear. No one infront of me so I gas the car to get him off of me. I go WOT, going about 70, Right when the the speedometer gets to 110 the car just starts to shudder , I honestly thought it was about to die out on me, it just screamed "Be at my mercy human, I hate you". I couldnt beleave it, long day at college, I am tired, this cant be happening. It didnt die out, thank god.

It was like a hicup. It lunged forward and than stopped and than goes forward and than stops. I quickly got off the throttle and slowed down to 60. It drove fine the rest of the way as I stayed at 60 the whole way. I am definetly going to have it checked out, something like this never happened to me.

I wish I had looked at the RPMs, I realized it downshifted and held the gear a little longer, and than right when it up-shifted, almost immediately the hicups came.

What could the problem be? I am hoping to god its not a tranny problem.

well you said it shifted a little slower than normal, it mite be you MAF sensor dirty.cat going bad, or your fuel filter could be stoped up too.
you mit check those.
hope that helps.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:21 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Any chance that you were in 2nd gear (and obviously hitting the rev limiter, or would that happen way sooner than 110mph in 2nd? ) instead of actually 3rd or 4th like you'd thought?
2.73s or 3.23s?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If youre sure that youve gone 120+ in the past.... and that your car was factory equipped with Z rated tires, then it should not ba a speed limiter. If your check gauges light was on due to low fuel, then chances are that all the gas rushed to the back of the tank during acceleration, and the fuel pickup sucked in some air. For future reference, keep atleast 1/4 tank in the car as the pump uses the fuel in the tank for cooling, and its a pain in the *** to change out a burnt fuel pump. Go fill her up and take her for a ride. Note results and repost.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Any chance that you were in 2nd gear (and obviously hitting the rev limiter, or would that happen way sooner than 110mph in 2nd? ) instead of actually 3rd or 4th like you'd thought?
2.73s or 3.23s?
I have 2.73s

When I bought my car, the previous owner had put some aftermarket rims. I have no idea if the tires I bought were the stock ones. They sure arent Z rated though. So I am guessing the car didnt come with Z rated tires. Would the stock tires be Yokohamas?

If youre sure that youve gone 120+ in the past.... and that your car was factory equipped with Z rated tires, then it should not ba a speed limiter. If your check gauges light was on due to low fuel, then chances are that all the gas rushed to the back of the tank during acceleration, and the fuel pickup sucked in some air. For future reference, keep atleast 1/4 tank in the car as the pump uses the fuel in the tank for cooling, and its a pain in the *** to change out a burnt fuel pump. Go fill her up and take her for a ride. Note results and repost
I think this might be the reason why. The car just took in air as the gas rushed in the back. I dont play on going 110 anytime soon, it was just one of those caught in the moment, gotta take out my stress kind of thing. I was driving it today to college and back and it drove fine, I put in some gas.

$20 and barely half a tank of gas

well you said it shifted a little slower than normal, it mite be you MAF sensor dirty.cat going bad, or your fuel filter could be stoped up too.
you mit check those.
hope that helps
I have no cats, but I will change the fuel filter and check on the MAF sensor. Better to be safe than sorry.

I hope my car loves me just like I love it.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

My 94 camaro shut off at 110mph. It did exactly what you are describing. It ran like a champ till 110, then it began to studder and kick back in once I dropped below 110.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flawless
Would the stock tires be Yokohamas?
No Goodyears only generally, GSCs/RSAs (Z rated cars) or GAs (non Z rated cars).
Old 10-21-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe it was telling you "110 is enough, that Maxima is years behind you now"