Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*wats that noise?!?! :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *wats that noise?!?! :(

okay, heres my problem. lets say im cruising at like 40 50 60 mph. if i give the car alittle gas to pick up, it sounds like somthing is rattling in the engine, almost like little metal ***** hitting eachother. i have no idea this isnt my area any help would be appriciated.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

this is most likely detonation, commonly referred to as "pinging". What are your mods/mileage? What kind of gas are you running? Did you notice if it only happens when it is hot out?

Originally Posted by StyLishSS
okay, heres my problem. lets say im cruising at like 40 50 60 mph. if i give the car alittle gas to pick up, it sounds like somthing is rattling in the engine, almost like little metal ***** hitting eachother. i have no idea this isnt my area any help would be appriciated.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

what kind of gas do you have? hopefully not 87, try some 93 out and see if that helps. Have you done any mods recenly?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
what kind of gas do you have? hopefully not 87
good god, do people actually put 87 in LS1's? I think that should be grounds for a public beating.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

i only run premium, and the engine was just rebuilt at 65k 3or4 thousand miles ago.. i hydrolocked it , its still under warranty. My mods are all basic nothing but some bolt-ons. Im going to get it checked at the shop within the week, i would just like to know if its serious.. when i rev my car in neutral or park it doesnt happen, only when im in gear, accelerating. its kind of like a crakling noise sounds like... hard to explain thanks for the quick replies tho
Old 10-20-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

You may be running too lean. Fuel filter, O2 sensors, MAF, etc. I had a same problem - with the same symptoms you describe. Turned out to be a bad cat converter (56k miles) - but it took almost half a year since I started hearing detonation until cat started smelling bad and threw "inefficiency" code. Check your A/F ratio, Fuel pressure, and see if your O2 readings are consistent between banks 1 and 2.

Forget going to the dealership, they will not aknowlege that you have a problem unless the car is throwing codes

Originally Posted by StyLishSS
i only run premium, and the engine was just rebuilt at 65k 3or4 thousand miles ago.. i hydrolocked it , its still under warranty. My mods are all basic nothing but some bolt-ons. Im going to get it checked at the shop within the week, i would just like to know if its serious.. when i rev my car in neutral or park it doesnt happen, only when im in gear, accelerating. its kind of like a crakling noise sounds like... hard to explain thanks for the quick replies tho
Old 10-21-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
good god, do people actually put 87 in LS1's? I think that should be grounds for a public beating.
I know, there is a girl at work and her z was doing the same noise he is describing. I told her to only put a MINIMUM of 91 in there.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

91 where do you get that. All i ever see is 93.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by goober35
91 where do you get that. All i ever see is 93.
Try 7-11.

This could also be a loose spark plug wire. Check to make sure they are all tight.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:34 AM
Staging Lane

Think I have the same problem, you only hear it under part throttle correct? Kinda sounds like someone garggling metal? or muffled chatter? Mine does the same thing.