Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sewing machine after LTs please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sewing machine after LTs please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2002 Z28. I have just recently installed pacesetter LTs with the TSP ORY. I have the ORY welded together and band clamps holding the y-pipe to the headers and the hooker catback. Since the install i have noticed a ticking. It sounds just like a sewing machine from the drivers side header. I cannot hear the ticking after a cold start. As soon as the air pump cuts off i can hear it. It definetely doesn't tick until the air pump shuts off. The harder i accelerate the more noticeable the ticking. I have checked and double checked for leaks and I cannot find a leak (no black stuff near a seal). I have the block-off plates that came with the headers in order to remove the air system. Could it be related? What should i do? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks
Old 10-21-2004, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by texasheat
As soon as the air pump cuts off i can hear it. It definetely doesn't tick until the air pump shuts off. I have the block-off plates that came with the headers in order to remove the air system.
You still have the AIR system in and hooked up to the headers or are they blocked off using the plates?
Old 10-21-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Possibly bent pushrod(s). Also it's normal to hear alot more valve train noise when adding long tube headers. In my case I had some bent pushrods.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

yes i still have the air system hooked up to the headers. I have the blockoff plates at my house. I just left them on in case i have trouble with inspection. Hell, if taking it out will stop that noise then i will take it out.

Not sure about the pushrods. don't bent pushrods come from miss-shifts? If that is the case i shouldnt have bent push rods. I have never missed a shift. (knock knock).

I just wanna get rid of that ticking!
Old 10-21-2004, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That noise has probably always been there, or maybe it hasn't. LTs magnify any sound that your car may be making.

First thing I would suggest you do. Go out and recheck all of your spark plugs. Make sure that everything is tight and securely connected.

Originally Posted by texasheat
yes i still have the air system hooked up to the headers. I have the blockoff plates at my house. I just left them on in case i have trouble with inspection. Hell, if taking it out will stop that noise then i will take it out.

Not sure about the pushrods. don't bent pushrods come from miss-shifts? If that is the case i shouldnt have bent push rods. I have never missed a shift. (knock knock).

I just wanna get rid of that ticking!