PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning a Turbo or Supercharger.

Old 10-22-2004, 03:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning a Turbo or Supercharger.

Okay so I'm still on the fence about whether I want to get the STS Turbo setup or an ATI ProCharger. Lately I've been leaning towards STS because of the cost factor; I can save some money since I don't have to get headers and a better exhaust. So since I'll be tuning the car myself... Which will be easier to tune? The supercharger is more predictable in terms of boost, so I'm thinking the turbo might be a bit harder. So what have you guys found out so far? Any info/experiences about tuning either would be appreciated
Old 10-22-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT You mean to tell me no one knows anything?
Come I know someone has to... "search" didn't yield anything good...
Old 10-24-2004, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Supercharger should be easier to tune.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

I just brought a STS kit from Jesse at JL Turbo and i am going to pick it up this week! I dont think that it would matter that much to tune either. I mean if you have it on the dyno then you can tell where to set you A/F on both the S/C and Turbo. I am going through the problem in finding what to tune my car with? I am suppost to get the kit this FRIDAY but dont have anything to tune with? Any suggestions? I am tryin to get a predator but cant find one for cheap!!!!
Old 10-24-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by musicmaker1586
I just brought a STS kit from Jesse at JL Turbo and i am going to pick it up this week! I dont think that it would matter that much to tune either. I mean if you have it on the dyno then you can tell where to set you A/F on both the S/C and Turbo. I am going through the problem in finding what to tune my car with? I am suppost to get the kit this FRIDAY but dont have anything to tune with? Any suggestions? I am tryin to get a predator but cant find one for cheap!!!!
i have a predator 4 sale, make an offer. (or will trade for a handheld code reader that supports fords/gm's)

it was put back to stock, but will require a vin reset from diablo like any other used gm predator.

Ryan
Old 10-24-2004, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are both pretty easy on a stock car for tuning.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

turbo's tend to spike on boost and vary with a cheap (manual boost controller), blowers have a pretty predictable pattern of boost (RPM*LOAD) so its a bit more stable as it walks across the timing/fuel maps.

ever have your mbc hose come off and the turbo spool to 20psi? Little mistakes like that probably won't roast your motor. Tuning wise a blower is probably easier, power potential turbo ownz you as long as you can tune.

I've worked on various cars, and honestly its 10X easier to do already boosted cars due to the great nature of the ecu design, or implement standalone management for cars that are n/a. I guess after roasting a few motors with boost greed you might understand that cost is what is costs to build, tune, and reliably operate for year(s). a couple of longblocks and turbos can get costly because a person went cheap to begin with in the beginning.

thats the key right there, put down the money, do it right the first time, or don't bother.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys. As of right now I think I'm still going to go with the turbo.
They are both pretty easy on a stock car for tuning.
Yeah for you Slowhawk! Okay, but seriously that's comforting... now if you said it was hard I'd be sweating. I'll get a wideband and go to work

samz28 - 5psi will give me plenty of power. Enough to hang with a few Cobras and Vipers... If for some reason I need more power, I'll invest in a forged shortblock and spare nothing. No way I'm gonna try running 10psi or something on stock shortblock... unless I want to see fireworks. I'd be nervous doing 7. But yeah I know what you're saying if you cut corners, don't be surprised if you go around in circles
Old 10-25-2004, 05:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry It actually isn't very hard to tune in a Turbo,expecially if your running a WB. If you get Edit to tune with,just send me the file and I'll set your timing up and start you on the fueling.It will be extremely close from the start.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Sorry It actually isn't very hard to tune in a Turbo,expecially if your running a WB. If you get Edit to tune with,just send me the file and I'll set your timing up and start you on the fueling.It will be extremely close from the start.
Thanks for the offer Slowhawk, that is really kind of you . unfortunately (well in this case) I have HP Tuners already. So I don't know if you could help me. Maybe at least with the timing, those are still in degrees. So that could be put on a spreadsheet. Anyways thanks again. I always hear good stuff about you. I just need to scrape up some money to get the kit... along with fueling, wideband, and some stiffer springs and hardened pushrods

Search this Thread