Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF relocation

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF relocation

Im thinking of moving my MAF post blower when I do my FMIC so that I can simply vent my bypass valve to atmosphere. How much tuning skill will be required?? What tables will have to be modified??? Should I try to get a pro to do a baseline tune for me or can I simply go in steps to get my AFR, timing tables, etc back in check??? Would it be better to mount in pre or post intercooler?? Thanks
Old 10-24-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Im thinking of moving my MAF post blower when I do my FMIC so that I can simply vent my bypass valve to atmosphere. How much tuning skill will be required?? What tables will have to be modified??? Should I try to get a pro to do a baseline tune for me or can I simply go in steps to get my AFR, timing tables, etc back in check??? Would it be better to mount in pre or post intercooler?? Thanks
I am not a supercharger expert, but I would think you would want the MAF post blower and post intercooler (aftercooler...whatever). If you have the MAF before the supercharger it is giving wrong readings. You need the measure of mass air right before it goes into the intake. You may go over your MAFs limits, depending on how much boost you are pushing. You may need to upgrade your MAP sensor and run speed density. There are many posts on these subjects laying around on here in the "archives".
Old 10-24-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Another_User
I am not a supercharger expert, but I would think you would want the MAF post blower and post intercooler (aftercooler...whatever). If you have the MAF before the supercharger it is giving wrong readings. You need the measure of mass air right before it goes into the intake. You may go over your MAFs limits, depending on how much boost you are pushing. You may need to upgrade your MAP sensor and run speed density. There are many posts on these subjects laying around on here in the "archives".
Thanks. In the vortech kit the MAF is preblower. Basically am I going to have to get in to volumetric efficiency tables from the start to get it to idle??? Im a total newb to tuning so I dont want to break things if this is something a pro should establish a baseline on first.
It has been wideband dyno tuned as is, but I would think that moving the MAF at this point would make it run extremely rich under boost since it is already adding enough fuel under boost to keep the desired AFR. I did a search and unfortunately I couldnt find anything on how this is handled.
Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Thanks. In the vortech kit the MAF is preblower. Basically am I going to have to get in to volumetric efficiency tables from the start to get it to idle??? Im a total newb to tuning so I dont want to break things if this is something a pro should establish a baseline on first.
It has been wideband dyno tuned as is, but I would think that moving the MAF at this point would make it run extremely rich under boost since it is already adding enough fuel under boost to keep the desired AFR. I did a search and unfortunately I couldnt find anything on how this is handled.
Thanks again for the help.
I guess it really does not matter where the MAF goes, since regardless of the temperature of the air, you are still (I would think) going to read the same mass amount of air. Your IAT will definitely need to be post intercooler to get an accurate reading for the PCM to calculate speed density ("VE"). I wish some of the boosted guys would post about this. I think in reality your entire VE table needs to be reworked from the bottom up. You have to be careful with a blower because if you run lean things have a tendency to go "boom". If you are not sure, I would find a tuner (that somebody recommends) to do it for me. In reality I think you will need to upgrade your MAP sensor, and you will need a wideband O2 setup so you can get your A/F right.
Old 10-24-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks man