Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions testing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Emissions testing

I was just wondering what type of emissions testing the different states are doing.I live in the Chicago land area and we do the IM240 testing.On an OBD 2 vehicle all the state does is hook up a scan tool to check the readiness of the pcm.They also check the gas cap for leaks.On any OBD1 vehicle the car is run on a dynometer,and they check the hc and co levels.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

same here in jersey. Just went this week and they didnt put it on the dyno like last time since they changed the test this past year. Now this has me wondering if we now can run bigger cams and stuf since its not being tested for co/hc and stuff. Wondering if the pcm can be programmed in a way that makes everything check out fine.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

I was wodering the same thing Bubba.When you went did they pop the hood or check if your Cats were installed?
Old 10-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

I'm in Illinois, just went last month, with heads, cam, long tube headers and true duals roaring passed with flying colors. All codes were deleted with HP tuners
Old 10-25-2004, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by currentman
I'm in Illinois, just went last month, with heads, cam, long tube headers and true duals roaring passed with flying colors. All codes were deleted with HP tuners
Bad ***. I plan to run similar set-up for exhaust. So I guess they did not look under hood or under car? Do you still have AIR or EGR?
Old 10-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

no they didnt look under the car or the hood, and I have no egr or air, I have pacesetter race headers. The only comment i got was " that a pretty strong gas odor, you might want to have your converter checked before your next test"
Old 10-25-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

" that a pretty strong gas odor, you might want to have your converter checked before your next test"

They check all visual (EGR, PCV, Catalytic, Air Pump) and no aftermarket intakes, air lids, or exhaust is allowed without CARB approval number. However, most operators dont know exactly what to look for and may miss things (like an air lid). Even my PVC capture tank is illegal.

Now the good stuff, OBDII is dyno sniffer test at two speeds 15 MPH and 25 MPH if I recall correct. Perhaps idle also. Gas cap is leak tested also along with PCM codes. These requirements vary depending on what county the car is registered in. Welcome to California.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

no they didnt look under the car or the hood, and I have no egr or air, I have pacesetter race headers. The only comment i got was " that a pretty strong gas odor, you might want to have your converter checked before your next test"

That is awsome! How do you like your Pacesetters? I am considerring these.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

sspeedracer your wrong on the OBDII test. The test your revering to was the old test. The new test, they simply plug in their scanner(as you would auto tap) and scan the pcm for trouble codes. If there are none you pass that test. This all depends on the year of the car. For nj its 2000 or newer other wise it gets put on the dyno. The reason for the new test is simply that if all systems on the car check out and are running correctly than the co/hc will be in check and no need to do the dyno run. Kinda hard to explain but obdII is reliable enough to not need the dyno anymore. The cars that do fail emissions will almost always have a trouble code(SES light) hence you fail. So no light/code means your emissions system is running at factory spec and is with in the requirements for that model/year car. Hope i make sense.
Anthony M, no they did not check for cats/air/egr. All i seen them do was hook up the scanner. Next think i know the guy skips the dyno and procedes to the next test. I forgot they changed the test and was expecting to hear my car rev up as they did the test but instead i heard him pull the car ahead to the saftey check. This is why i think that the pcm could be edited to make a big cam seem perfectly normal and no codes would be thrown.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

BubaGimp- come on out to california and explain that to CARB. I've already had my 2000 SS smogged two years ago. I've got another test comming up next month. Anthony was asking about different states. California is the king of automotive emmissions. California Air Resource Board is copied not only by the federal EPA but in other countries as well. Do some homework before you say I'm wrong. Why do you think everyone bitches so bad about the smog laws in california?
If you live in a california and fail an OBDII/I test you are automatically sent to a state test inspector. ie fucked if you have anything remotely aftermarket.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I worked at a testing if anybody has further questions I love OBDII. In our state an IM240 is not required for 96 or newer cars. Nor is a visual test as long as the car passes. Get the PCM tuned and it'll still pass with a Trex cam and heads with no cats Just do not play guessing games, if your not sure its going to pass then don't test it, if you fail they'll do a visual inspection and you'd be screwed, once its noted that you have no cats ect you'll be requred to put them on to pass as it'll be reinspected upon a retest.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

I have a question. If I know I am due soon, can I just go and get tested before they send me a notice?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

I do not think you can get tested early.When was the last time you were tested?I think it is evry 2 years for an OBD2 vehicle in our area Bads.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

It has never been tested. I bought it new in March of '02. The build date was 2/02. I special ordered mine. I think it is 3 years before the first test, then every other year. So my guess would be I am due in 2/05. I want to go early so I can drop the cat-back this winter. But if that is not allowed, or they are just going to make me test again in Feb, then I will just have to wait.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Bads they will not even pop the hood .All they do is hook up a scan tool to check the rediness of all the self run tests that an OBD 2 pcm performs.Also when is your out of factory warranty?If it was delievered in March of 02 you have some time left,let me know if you need any warranty stuff taken care of.I am a Chevy tech at a dealer on the nw side of the city.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Wow, thanks man. My war is up in March. But if my cat-back is dropped, won't they get me for not having a mufler? The open cut-out is not that load, but it may be enough to get me in trouble. Or do they not care as long as the cats are on?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the test is usually only good for 60 days. If you get it tested in mid december before its due to be registered in Feb then you should be ok.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

They probably will not care about a loud exhaust at all.I have never had them even look under the car at all.I have been to the emissions lane on Foerst Preserve Drive.They are pretty clueless there.They might put there silly mirror under the car though to check the cats if you come in roaring though.But you will have the cats on anyways so f them.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
In Maryland - in the populated areas anyway, for OBDII they hook up to PCM connector and check fuel cap. I have seen them look under the car for CATS (mirror on a pole). For OBDI you go on a tread mill (short run or the Long run if the machine see a problem with the numbers during the short run).
Bill
Old 10-26-2004, 01:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I thought NJ had the plug in scan tool test for 96 and up, all OBDII vehicles. If it's 00 and up I just miss out, I have a 99.