PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a tune but dont know where to start??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Need a tune but dont know where to start??

You can look at the mods in my sig to see what I have. I also want to get the 02 & up Z06 MAF. I read somewhere that I need to get the MAF table for it. I really dont know what the tables mean and where to get them. Some of the obvious things I need a tune for are as follows, The MAF when I get it, and the T/R MAF ends, the bigger injectors, The MTI P/P TB, the catalytic area since they have been deleted. I have the simms but I hear you still need a tune and they can also just delete the rear o2 codes while doing this. Also my custom cold air intake (pics below) Thats about it I guess. Also my car seems to be running rich. The tail pipes are coated black with in a couple days. This was even before adding the bigger injectors. Also one more thing ever since I removed my cats if I leave the car running in neutral for a while like say I'm in the store for 5 min. when I go to back out of the space I give it a little rev and I will see smoke make i'ts way up to my passenger window.
This is only when it sits running. I have had a friend follow me while I got on it and reved it and he did not see any smoke at all and it only does it that one time while you are backing out(been sitting running) if you rev it again there is not any smoke. I also basically need to know what to ask, how to be prepared and what to make sure gets done while I'm getting this tune. I will be using Jeff Creech at carolina auto masters if anyone that reads this has had expierience with them let me know.
TIA,
Shane
Attached Thumbnails Need a tune but dont know where to start??-100_4545.jpg   Need a tune but dont know where to start??-100_4541.jpg  

Last edited by Tranzaman00; 10-25-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

I also forgot to mention that the car pops like crazy when you let off,(decel,downshift,or after a hard rev.) I have heard that this also is a sign of a rich condition. I had the exhaust looked over for leaks already.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Delphi 85mm MAFs are a one-piece design and you
can't use the MAF ends on them (the MAF is bigger than
those ends anyway).

Call your tuner up and see if he already has the Z06 MAF
table. I believe I've seen people from that outfit post
here before. They should be pretty clued in.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just don't get why people install bigger injectors w/o tuning for them right then and there. Its not something that you can shift around. Plus you always run the risk of washing down the cylinder walls if you go too rich. This isn't necessarily directly specifically at you, Shane, but just in general, cuz I've seen a few ppl do it lately. I just don't get it.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info yall. I had know Idea about washing down the walls. Anyone got anymore info on some of my other ?'s....
Old 10-26-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

More suggestions please. How mych does a tune normally cost?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:35 AM
TECH Regular

Did you change the size of the intake to the Throttle Body.

In designing the C5 GM engineering did a ton of testing and from that wrote adaptive strategy that made assumptions as to air and fuel flow under different engine conditions. Changing those airflow parts, esp larger ones reduce the velocity and the A.S still functions as if the stock parts were being used and how it was programmed and does not change even with minor tuning. Most cases when the gas pedal is lifted and goes into decel with the larger airflow parts confuses the PCM and is adding or removing fuel when it really did not have to.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Did you change the size of the intake to the Throttle Body.

In designing the C5 GM engineering did a ton of testing and from that wrote adaptive strategy that made assumptions as to air and fuel flow under different engine conditions. Changing those airflow parts, esp larger ones reduce the velocity and the A.S still functions as if the stock parts were being used and how it was programmed and does not change even with minor tuning. Most cases when the gas pedal is lifted and goes into decel with the larger airflow parts confuses the PCM and is adding or removing fuel when it really did not have to.
No, the MTI T/B is 75 mm same as stock. I believe it is 92mm at the opening and then venturis down to 75mm like the accu-fab. Thanks for the info. This is why I want all my mods to be recognized and not learned out by the computer. I want it tuned to it's fullest potential, I want it to run right basically.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lets start with the simple things..There is absolutely no gain switching out your stock mass air meter.From what it looks like you took out your 26lb injectors and put in 28's.The computer should be able to compensate for that without much problems,but the MA is killing it without tuning.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Lets start with the simple things..There is absolutely no gain switching out your stock mass air meter.From what it looks like you took out your 26lb injectors and put in 28's.The computer should be able to compensate for that without much problems,but the MA is killing it without tuning.

OK, you think I'm ok with those injectors. I have not purchased the MAF yet so it shouldn't be killing anything. I heard that the Granatelli MAF was not worth getting but I did not realize the ZO6 MAF was worthless as well. I plan on getting the LS6 intake in a couple weeks so I will wait to get the tune before I get that. I figured with the LS6 intake and injectors you should get the MAF as well but I guess not, thank you. My car is definately rich is there any other way to fix that without a dyno tune.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 10-31-2004, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
My car is definately rich is there any other way to fix that without a dyno tune.
MAF translator