Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine installation

alright guys, im in the process of getting a 382 stroker built and i cant find a reliable shop to install my long block.

Humor me, im not an experienced engine builder but i have installed my exhaust. However, with my father and some friends, we were discussing the possibility of installing it ourselves.

First, i know......i must sound like a fool to thinki can jump right in and get it done. I know anything could happen and it could become complicated.

Besides a lift, engine crane and mount, and the appropriate tools. what else do i need and does any body have any realistic suggestions (negative or positive) to help me install my new engine.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2004, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I took mine out with a simple tool set from Lowes, 2 jacks, 4 jackstands and an engine crane. 2 guys. Not bad at all. Installing it will be easier.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

interesting, could you give me a possible step by step method of how to install da 382. i know the basic is to first remove the essentials (radiator hoses, radiator, fans, intake, maf....etc...everything that is connected to the block!!)

But if you could help me out wih some tips and method to make this easier i would really appreciate it!!

anybody else?....i know there has to some else that has installed or knows of where i can find some info via internet.

thanks!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

there's been a few threads on this recently. i'm sure if you searched you'd find them, i'm too damn tired to hunt them down for you right now otherwise i'd try.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be interested in seeing those install threads myself

Keith
Old 10-26-2004, 10:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just pulled mine with a 120(somthing like that) piece craftsman set. Took it out the top with the balance and bellhousing still on. Will be putting a 382 back in like you
Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...engine+removal

Seriously, this is only one link. Search 'engine removal' in the internal section only, that's what I did a month ago so I'd know what to do. I don't have a helms manual, but do recommend it for reinstall in that it has great pictures.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

thanks, i have found some info which seems very helpful......however, are there any tips on a specific problem that came about during or after the removal.......
Old 10-27-2004, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

I had to remove the passenger side engine pedestal to get the motor out. But, that was probably due to not manuevering the motor right when taking it out. Remove the oil sending unit ahead or removing the motor if you can; mine broke off on the cowl. Getting the starter and passenger side grounds off the car was easier from below than up top. The PS pump took quite some time to remove; 3 bolts, moving them a little at a time. The rest of the accessories were a piece of cake, although it took a while to figure out how the A/C was attached ( for me ). Hope this helps.