Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clarification on O2 sims and headers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clarification on O2 sims and headers...

OK sometime here real soon I will be getting JetHot LT's with their Catted Y-pipe. I currently have a GMMG catback so I want the catted Y-pipe so I can keep the GMMG sounding good.

I am not sure if I should get the headers with AIR, or w/o AIR. I live in Iowa so emissions is not necessary, but like I said, I want to keep the cats for the sound.

So should I ditch the AIR system? If I do that will I need o2 sims on the rear? If I keep the AIR system, do I need o2 sims? or do I just hook all the o2 sensors up like normal and get the extensions for all of them? Please help clear this up for me.

I plan on getting a cam in the future and getting HP tuners for a tune, but that won't be for awhile and I dont like looking at the SES light.

BTW It's a 01 WS6.

Thanks - Josh
Old 10-26-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ditch the AIR System and pull the pump along with all associated lines. Since you don't like seeing the SES light you will need two 02 sims or you could have someone close with LS1 Edit just delete the codes from your PCM and you won't need the simms.

BTW The POS cats or that's what they call them that Jet Hot uses in the Catted Y pipe are known power robbers due to their design and are also known for blowing out. Just a FYI search about the JH Catted Y quality before buying. I have their Longtubes and they are great but I would not spend $100 on their catted Y. Look at TSP's new catted y or the QTP which I am running. HTH
Old 10-26-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was under the impression that LS1edit was locked into only one VIN so it would only work with 1 particular car...?

And for the JH Ypipe, I was wondering how the cats held up, i have been hearing a lot about the TSP ypipe and most people are happy with that...so i may go that route. What's the pricing for the QTP catted Ypipe?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:07 AM
TECH Veteran

I dont beleive the LS1Edit can delete codes that would be thrown for lack of AIR or rear O2s.

I would keep the AIR system in case the emmission cops inspect your ride. There is no real benefit from taking it off....

Your LT headers will need block off plates drilled 5/16.

You will need rear O2 SIMMS.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I dont beleive the LS1Edit can delete codes that would be thrown for lack of AIR or rear O2s.
You can.

I would keep the AIR system in case the emmission cops inspect your ride. There is no real benefit from taking it off....
Loose weight

Your LT headers will need block off plates drilled 5/16.

You will need rear O2 SIMMS.
Most come with block off plates.

The rear O2 sensors are there to monitor the Cats. Removing the AIR system could set off a SES light if you keep the rear O2 sensors in. I would get O2 Simulators for the hell of it and remove the AIR system and delete it with HP Tuners, along with EGR.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Keenov
You can.

Loose weight

Most come with block off plates.

The rear O2 sensors are there to monitor the Cats. Removing the AIR system could set off a SES light if you keep the rear O2 sensors in. I would get O2 Simulators for the hell of it and remove the AIR system and delete it with HP Tuners, along with EGR.
So all I would need is the headers w/o emissions modifications, front o2 extensions, sims for the rear o2's, and hptuners to delete the AIR from the PCM...right? Also, I was under the impression that the 01-02 cars didnt have EGR.....
Old 10-27-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

you don't need o2 sims if you have tuning software.

01-02 has no EGR

Ryan
Old 10-27-2004, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow
you don't need o2 sims if you have tuning software.

01-02 has no EGR

Ryan
I was wondering about that too, so just tie the o2 connections up outa the way then and not worry about them right?
Old 10-28-2004, 06:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joshp14
So all I would need is the headers w/o emissions modifications, front o2 extensions, sims for the rear o2's, and hptuners to delete the AIR from the PCM...right? Also, I was under the impression that the 01-02 cars didnt have EGR.....
If you are going to tune it, then you do not need the O2 simulaters as those can be removed via PCM.

01-02 do not have EGR. I didn't read what year your car was so I just added that incase.

Originally Posted by joshp14
I was wondering about that too, so just tie the o2 connections up outa the way then and not worry about them right?
Correct and you get to save 80 bucks from not buying the simulators.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok cool, sounds good...thx for the help.