Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

01 SS vs 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 04:09 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 01 SS vs 03 Cobra

Was On my way home on a main cruise spot avenue,and up head I hear the distinct sound of a mustang.I catch up to it at a light.I see it is a 03 cobra with at least exhaust and drag radials.I been wanting to run one to see what all the hype is about them.Well I got next to him older guy about late 40's.I gave a rev he looked over and nodded. we got to a opening in traffic we both got on it at the same time from 25 mph roll was dead even till I missed third he flew by me doh.Well we raced three more times all from a roll nether one of us wanted to from a stop,The next three times I had a slight lead threw 1st 2nd and third I pull away about a car and half.My mods are lid catback kooks headers and 410's.That supercharger screams at full throttle,cool guy pulled over and he showed me the car.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice Kill did he mention if he had any other mods?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:59 AM
Teching In

he must of been granny shifting, i raced a guy on this board(Santiago i think is his name here) after running at Sacramento Raceway, he has similar mods, Full exhaust, headers, lid etc. and my 03 Cobra only has a filter. We ran from about 40mph/2nd gear and i pulled on him about half a car if not a bit more. But on the highway we would go from 3rd gear/60mph and he would BARELY pull on me until he would switch to 4th gear i would start to pull back on him since i can run 3rd gear longer and get about 1/2 car, then hit 4th and slowly start to pull some more then we would shut down. So from 3rd gear he would get about a bumpers length then id gain it back once id get into 4th after hangin 3rd out longer. all in all we were about the same, we would shut'em down at about 115-120mph area. Good runs, dont you think Adam? (if you see this post)
Old 10-27-2004, 12:37 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cobra kills are sweet. Nice runs.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 03BlackSVT
he must of been granny shifting, i raced a guy on this board(Santiago i think is his name here) after running at Sacramento Raceway, he has similar mods, Full exhaust, headers, lid etc. and my 03 Cobra only has a filter. We ran from about 40mph/2nd gear and i pulled on him about half a car if not a bit more. But on the highway we would go from 3rd gear/60mph and he would BARELY pull on me until he would switch to 4th gear i would start to pull back on him since i can run 3rd gear longer and get about 1/2 car, then hit 4th and slowly start to pull some more then we would shut down. So from 3rd gear he would get about a bumpers length then id gain it back once id get into 4th after hangin 3rd out longer. all in all we were about the same, we would shut'em down at about 115-120mph area. Good runs, dont you think Adam? (if you see this post)
Well the 4:10's the poster of this kill has would put him at an advantage over the guy you raced if he had stock gears. Was the guy you raced an A-4 or M6? I have no trouble believing this kill. Doubt he was granny shifting. I hung right with an 03 which I know was stock, and I'm not the best driver in the world. Good runs man.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

An 03 Cobra with exhaust and drag radials should have no problem taking out a lightly modded LS1 such as his.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WTB-a-Hawk
Well the 4:10's the poster of this kill has would put him at an advantage over the guy you raced if he had stock gears. Was the guy you raced an A-4 or M6? I have no trouble believing this kill. Doubt he was granny shifting. I hung right with an 03 which I know was stock, and I'm not the best driver in the world. Good runs man.
he had a M6, and i dont know what gearing he has either, more than likely stock gears.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Absolutely Great Kill
Old 10-27-2004, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteTXMach
An 03 Cobra with exhaust and drag radials should have no problem taking out a lightly modded LS1 such as his.
NOT true i have a 01ws6 lid pully cutout and i raced a stock 03 cobra 3 times from 25mph and put 1 1/2 cars on him by the top of third.......and he could drive.........
Old 10-27-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 03BlackSVT
ya I think we were pretty much even. I'd barely pull on u then u would come back. good runs
btw, I have no lid yet
Old 10-27-2004, 05:31 PM
9 Second Club

The cobra was a 6spd and this guy could drive,The cobra had exhausht and drag radials only.He was I think quite shocked that I was able to pull on him.Like I said we both pulled over after woulds his only excuse was that third gear is slow gear.Thanx for the props guys it was a heart pounding runs.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I know, with = hp and 400 more pounds it would RAPE that camaro

Nice Kill man!
Old 10-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Launching!

Maybe it "should not", but this one did. On the street remember. Not everyone grew up in the magical land of chirping every gear in their manual like you did. No props from you though. Only "well this and that should have happened" which is what most of your posts are.. Give him a and move on.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:17 AM
Teching In

Maybe it "should not", but this one did. On the street remember. Not everyone grew up in the magical land of chirping every gear in their manual like you did. No props from you though. Only "well this and that should have happened" which is what most of your posts are.. Give him a and move on.
Thats what I am saying. !!
I beat an 03 cobra, he had intake and full exhaust. but I dont think about it too much because If I would have drove his car I would have destroyed my firehawk. also first gear is where I had the advantage cuz he wasnt getting too much traction..
Nice kill. Give credit where credit is due.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

I just like being realistic, sorry if I come off the wrong way about it.
Also SDC those 2 cars do NOT have the same hp.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:56 AM
11 Second Club

My buddie had a 99 Transam with 410 gears,SLP lid,Zo6 intake, and Mac Mid leaths.
With this set up.He went 12.49
Now he has an 03 Cobra.when it was stock the best he did was around 12.7
So i believe his story. (by the way,great kill)
Old 10-30-2004, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

I can't say i agree with this statment.
I am just a lightly modded A4 with a good stall and have taken out a few 03 Cobra's,and some pretty modded ones with me sprayin a bit .

I ran a 03 with only a CAI on the highway(3) times . I sprayed the 1st run,just because this was the 1st 03 i ran into and did not know what to expect. But i put at least 3 car lenghts on him in very short time.
The next 2 races were N/A for me and i still pulled him 1-2 cars from 75-110 mph.

Even pulled off the highway and chatted for a while with the dude and his girlfriend.

I ran a 03 Cobra with Longtubes,full exhaust with more boost . This guy i sprayed and put 3 cars on him out of the hole to 60. Then same car,we went from 65 mph roll and i put 2-3 cars on him again to 110(with me sprayin).

I think the Cobra's are real strong cars ,BUT, it is a driver that can make or break it's performance.

I'm sure my luck will change when i run into UNIT213 . But i'm sure Dan will be gracious about it.

Nice kill man.
Dave
Old 10-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy

I'm sure my luck will change when i run into UNIT213 . But i'm sure Dan will be gracious about it.

You know how I like spray Dave. The 100shot really gets her moving.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213

You know how I like spray Dave. The 100shot really gets her moving.
That's my concern , i have not run into anyone with a set-up like yours yet.
And i KNOW you like that Bottle! Still will be fun to play,I just hope to catch up with ya before you get yourself a K/B .
Dave
Old 10-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
That's my concern , i have not run into anyone with a set-up like yours yet.
And i KNOW you like that Bottle! Still will be fun to play,I just hope to catch up with ya before you get yourself a K/B .
Dave
KB won't happen for a while so there's time. I have a few mods that need to be done before I hit the track again. I'm sure it already runs 10's, but I've never run the number so I won't say for sure. I haven't had time to race at the track all season. The mph is WAY up there on the dope.