Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Water Crossover for Throttle Body Neccessary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Water Crossover for Throttle Body Neccessary?

Just as the topic says, but I will elaborate here. I was wondering if the front water crossover pipe that "T's" off to the throttle body is neccessary. Does it serve any other puprose other than run water through the throttle body then out to the radiator. Does it do anything to help balance the water pressure in the block?

I have swapped my LS1 manifold for an LS6 manifold and replaced the stock "X" type crossover with the SLP plugs for the back two water ports and the supplied front replacement crossover. I do not plan on running water through the throttle body any longer and I would like to plug the front two ports off the same way the back ports are plugged.

I think this would give the engine compartment a cleaner looks and would be one less thing to worry about if disassembly is needed in the future.

Thanks very much in advance for any feedback.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

I understand that the Nick Williams 90mm does not have provisions for the coolant line. I was wondering about that.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the lt1 coolant passages are easily bypassed, i would assume it performs the same function for a LS1.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just swapped out my intake for the LS-6 a few weeks ago my TB was already bypassed I don't see a need for the crossover pipe anymore and seriuosly thought about just puttin on two more plugs but I didn't have two more laying around at the time .
Old 10-28-2004, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

The water through the throttle body is there to prevent blade icing, which could cause the blade to stick and then you crash. Of course that is the worse case scenario, and blade icing hardly ever happens on a street car, though I can't remember what the conditions are, for it to happen, something like winter conditions...AC on??....something like that.... The stuff they spray in the top fuel intakes is only some type of lube to help prevent the blades from sticking. It happens because of the air rushing by has a drastic cooling effect.
The heated air sucks in the summer when you already have 98 degree air going in, and it robs power since it is hot air. How much? I dont know. I don't think its worth it really, but then again I am not racing this car.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

Question

Are you asking simply about the TB bypass mod as those above are referring to or are you actually considering doing away with the line that runs between the radiator and the front coolant crossover pipe under the intake behind the TB?
I assume you mean both I guess...the TB bypass is fine as long as you don't live (and drive often) in a sub zero climate but doing away with that line to between the heads is NOT recommended and has been highly discouraged.
I wouldn't do it.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

I've heard that the pipe acts to bleed off any trapped air from the engine. So, blocking the pipe off from the radiator would make it difficult to remove the air in the cooling system. Air in the cooling system can cause overheating.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nuzee
I've heard that the pipe acts to bleed off any trapped air from the engine. So, blocking the pipe off from the radiator would make it difficult to remove the air in the cooling system. Air in the cooling system can cause overheating.
the coolant pipe is there to bleed off any air that gets trapped in the coolant system, like nuzee said.
dont remove it, just buy a ( i think 5/16'' ) coolant hose from a parts store
to go from the coolant pipe straight to the radiator, and by pass the T/B.
dot need the coolant to warm the T/B, it is for sub zero temps any way, and steel unlikely to ice over because it is a T/B and not a carb with fuel entering the venturies of the carb cauesing the fuel to freeze.
cold air is pretty dry, and not going to form very much ice, only carbs do becaues of fuel.
hope that helps
Old 10-29-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Right on cue?...ha, sorry, couldn't resist...

Cueball nailed it.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:49 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks everyone for the replies. If it is neccessary I will leave it, but what prevents an air pocket in the radiator to be pushed through the coolant pipe into the motor?

I really don't care if it runs water through the throttle body or not, I was just thinking more in the lines of cleaning up the engine bay.

I've wondered what people do with an aftermarket throttle body without the coolant provisions. If they eliminated the coolent pipe all together, or ran a line directly from the coolant pipe to the radiator.

If anyone does have an aftermarket throttle body without the coolant provision, what did you end up doing with the front coolent pipe?

Thanks again everyone!

Old 10-29-2004, 02:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bad2000ss
If anyone does have an aftermarket throttle body without the coolant provision, what did you end up doing with the front coolent pipe?
They would do the same exact thing that anyone with the TB coolant provisions (ie: stock style TB) would do, either run a line from the coolant pipe to the radiator or what I did, just use a coupler and some clamps to link the existing ones together instead of running them through the TB fittings (like the BMR kit).
Regardless of whether one does TB bypass or not that pipe is still there behind it, only indirectly related.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The line that splits off of the two heads and that would usually run through the tb should just be directly connected to the radiator. The flow direction goes to the radiator from the heads, so you don't have anything to worry about there.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
They would do the same exact thing that anyone with the TB coolant provisions (ie: stock style TB) would do, either run a line from the coolant pipe to the radiator or what I did, just use a coupler and some clamps to link the existing ones together instead of running them through the TB fittings (like the BMR kit).
Regardless of whether one does TB bypass or not that pipe is still there behind it, only indirectly related.
oops, you got it first...
Old 10-29-2004, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks again everyone. I'll just hook it up as it was originally.

Quick Reply: Front Water Crossover for Throttle Body Neccessary?