TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fastech -----> and a few others.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94form2000z
Fastech -----> and a few others.
a few others? like what. just looking for some good prices.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silver_Whistler
a few others? like what. just looking for some good prices.
Try our sponsor, Futral Motorsports. They were very helpful in getting me my latest custom grind cam.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Suspended Sponsor Account

we can help you out give us a call.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Custom and "good pricing" don't go together. You need to go with whoever makes you comfortable in obtaining your goals. May not be the cheapest, but aleast in your mind you made the right decision.

Chris
Old 10-29-2004, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Custom and "good pricing" don't go together. You need to go with whoever makes you comfortable in obtaining your goals. May not be the cheapest, but aleast in your mind you made the right decision.

Chris
Actually, you can order a custom grind cam from Comp, Cam Motion, or any number of other cam manufacturers today and they don't cost a penny more than their off-the-shelf cams. That's the beauty of CNC machining.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Straight from Comp is $400, correct?
Old 10-29-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is no beauty in a lobe that has been ground by a CNC machine. Then their is the difference in core suppliers, is it US or offshore.

Chris
Old 10-29-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

i actually know the specs of the cam i want. its going into a 5.3.
215/215 .580/.580 114lsa.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

There is no beauty in a lobe that has been ground by a CNC machine.
Chris
Really? I guess perfectly identical machining from first to last isn't a good thing in your opinion.

ALL major cam manufacturers are using CNC technology.

I think Wile E. Coyote is using the Acme Cam Company. They don't use any CNC machines.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

There is no beauty in a lobe that has been ground by a CNC machine. Then their is the difference in core suppliers, is it US or offshore.

Chris
Why do you say that? I had assumed all cams were ground by CNC machining including Comp Cams. I also assumed all cores were domestic, not imported. Do you have a list of of what cam manufacturer uses what?
Old 10-30-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by XTrooper
Really? I guess perfectly identical machining from first to last isn't a good thing in your opinion.

ALL major cam manufacturers are using CNC technology.

I think Wile E. Coyote is using the Acme Cam Company. They don't use any CNC machines.
Clarification is needed here...

Some cam grinding equipment use a "master lobe" as a pattern to copy to the cam core. This "master lobe" is machined to be a certain "factor" times the actual lobe desired. This lowers the potential error by the "factor" of the cam master dimensions to the actual lobe's dimensions.

To over simplify, if the cam master lobe is ten times the dimensions of the actual true cam lobe, the tolerance error is 1/10 of any error found in the master. So, if the master has a .001 or 1* error in it's design or machining from it's conception, that error is now .0001 or 1/10* when it's ground into the core.

There are also CNC camshaft grinders that have the exact cam lobe design and dimensions right in their program. These machines do not use a "master lobe" or any "factor" since they grind the lobe to the size that the program dictates. The problem with this type of grinding is resolution. Whatever the resolution is of the grinder's ability is what error will be transfered into the actual cam lobe.

I have sold camshafts done on both types of machines and for most engines there's little to no problem with either. When you get into some exotic race only designs, with major rocker ratios, the better the machining results in a better cam.

As for "imported" cam cores, well without getting some sponsors in an uproar, if the camshaft is cheaper than most, I'm pretty damned sure it's an imported core and ground out of the USA. Not to hard to spot if you know what to look for...

"The bitterness of poor quality remain long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"

Ed
Old 10-30-2004, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by EDC
Clarification is needed here...

Some cam grinding equipment use a "master lobe" as a pattern to copy to the cam core. This "master lobe" is machined to be a certain "factor" times the actual lobe desired. This lowers the potential error by the "factor" of the cam master dimensions to the actual lobe's dimensions.

To over simplify, if the cam master lobe is ten times the dimensions of the actual true cam lobe, the tolerance error is 1/10 of any error found in the master. So, if the master has a .001 or 1* error in it's design or machining from it's conception, that error is now .0001 or 1/10* when it's ground into the core.

There are also CNC camshaft grinders that have the exact cam lobe design and dimensions right in their program. These machines do not use a "master lobe" or any "factor" since they grind the lobe to the size that the program dictates. The problem with this type of grinding is resolution. Whatever the resolution is of the grinder's ability is what error will be transfered into the actual cam lobe.

I have sold camshafts done on both types of machines and for most engines there's little to no problem with either. When you get into some exotic race only designs, with major rocker ratios, the better the machining results in a better cam.

As for "imported" cam cores, well without getting some sponsors in an uproar, if the camshaft is cheaper than most, I'm pretty damned sure it's an imported core and ground out of the USA. Not to hard to spot if you know what to look for...

"The bitterness of poor quality remain long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"

Ed
Thanks for the clarification, Ed. Interesting stuff.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would venture to estimate that 80% of all cams produced in the US are still ground on automatics that date from the '40's. This includes rollers. These automatics chug away and are very cost effective since they have been paid for for 40 years. It is not ood business to run shelf stock cams on CNC equipment, your accountant would scream at you at the end of the year.

Chris