Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much damage did my engine sustain ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much damage did my engine sustain ?

I was driving home last night when all of the sudden my "check gauges" light came on. I was like that's weird everything looked good. So I continued driving and then all of a sudden, I notice my water temp is way off the charts all the way to max temp. Then I lose steering and everything went sour from there. Turns out my accessory belt had shredded and I was driving the car like that for a good 5 min. I didn't notice the steering since I was going straight.

WHen I opened the hood, the engine was really hot and coolant had spiller over the engine bay. Do you guys think there is internal damage ?
Old 10-30-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

What have you done since the engine cooled down? Have you tried to start it? Have you checked for codes?
Old 10-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

I would change the oil for sure!
Old 10-30-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, replace the belt and make sure the pulleys are all aligned. Something shredded your belt and that needs fixed first. I'd start at the balancer/pulley assembly and go from there, checking to be sure the belt is straight.

After that, refilling the coolant and an oil change are next before you even turn the key.

After the rad and overflow tank are full of fresh coolant and distilled water mix, and the oil's been changed, fire it up and let it idle up to operating temp. Be sure the temp stabilizes, let the fans cycle a time or two, then shut it down and check for coolant or oil leaks. While it's cooling, it may draw in some coolant from the overflow tank so keep an eye on the level and refill as necessary.

If no knocks, no white exhaust smoke (which would indicate a blown head gasket), take a short test spin and keep an eye on the gauges. If the temp stays stable, and oil pressure is normal, no knocking sounds, no Check Engine light, no belching white smoke out the exhaust, bring 'er home and re-check the coolant level again (you'll be doing this for a few days.)
Old 10-30-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the help guys