Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Best air/fuel ratio for making power and staying safe?

Old 11-01-2004, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best air/fuel ratio for making power and staying safe?

I am about to get retuned after cam swap. My initial tune with most of the bolt ons the air/fuel was at 13.5

I have been told that 13 or 13.1 would have made more power and still been safe?

Need proffessional opinions here? Thanks for your time

Cajun
Old 11-01-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same question here. mine was left at 13.5 after it was tuned.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ccajun4real
I am about to get retuned after cam swap. My initial tune with most of the bolt ons the air/fuel was at 13.5

I have been told that 13 or 13.1 would have made more power and still been safe?

Need proffessional opinions here? Thanks for your time

Cajun
In my experience, and A/F of 14:1 is perfect on a dynojet with the car having no load on it. On a mustang dyno or the street (under a load) you want your car around 12.6 - 12.8 to be safe but still making good power.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is no magic number as far as what makes peak HP, it varies from car to car, combination to combination. Obviously you are safer the more rich you go up to a point, but it usually cost HP. Examples, some combinations are more prone to knock so a slightly richer mixture makes more power. Another combination may be more prown to knock around its peak TQ RPM only, so being, let's say, 12.8 in that area and then scaling it leaner before and after that range, sometimes up to 13.5, makes the most HP across the RPM band. There are many other factors such as engine load, combustion swirl, performance applications, atmospheric conditions etc can dictate different optimum ratios. But for quick rules of thumb WOT GM tunes we shoot for low 13s for NA, low 12s for boost and mid 11s for nitrous. For customers who want to be extra safe, richer - for the more adventurous, leaner. Hope this helps.

EJ
Old 11-01-2004, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dynocar
There is no magic number as far as what makes peak HP, it varies from car to car, combination to combination. Obviously you are safer the more rich you go up to a point, but it usually cost HP. Examples, some combinations are more prone to knock so a slightly richer mixture makes more power. Another combination may be more prown to knock around its peak TQ RPM only, so being, let's say, 12.8 in that area and then scaling it leaner before and after that range, sometimes up to 13.5, makes the most HP across the RPM band. There are many other factors such as engine load, combustion swirl, performance applications, atmospheric conditions etc can dictate different optimum ratios. But for quick rules of thumb WOT GM tunes we shoot for low 13s for NA, low 12s for boost and mid 11s for nitrous. For customers who want to be extra safe, richer - for the more adventurous, leaner. Hope this helps.

EJ
I will have the following

TPIS long tubes
Vararam
off road x-pipe (no cats)
LS6 intake
Comp 226 .581 114 XER cam
MTI 25% underdrive pulley
3:73 gears
Yank 2800 stall

I am guessing I should be looking at low 13s as "rule of thumb" on the dyno tuning for WOT?

Search this Thread