Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeaking at start up, then disappers..

Old 11-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking at start up, then disappers..

When I start my car on a cool, or humid day, the engine chirps like a bird for 5 minutes or so and after warm up completely goes away. Sounds like its coming from the front of the engine so I'm assuming it's the belts. How do I diagnose what it is? If I park the car for half an hour and start it back up its gone. But parked for longer gives me the chirp noise. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-02-2004, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

The best bet is it's either your idler pulley or belt, when you first start the engine when it's cold use a spray bottle of water on the belt. If the squeaking goes away that's probably the cause of the squeaking, there's been a ton problems with the idler pulley also so that might be the problem also. JMO

Al
Old 11-02-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a problem with my a/c unit. The pully on the condencer would chirp. It was the same as yours on cold start up then it would go away. I put it in storage for the winter when i got it out it never stoped chirping. Try the small belt for the a/c condencer as well.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by conan
I had a problem with my a/c unit. The pully on the condencer would chirp. It was the same as yours on cold start up then it would go away. I put it in storage for the winter when i got it out it never stoped chirping. Try the small belt for the a/c condencer as well.
i had this problem on a 96 car, it's from rust that builds up... i would use some WD40 and ran the car a while and it went away.

Cheetle,

Like Dark Age said it's most likely your idler pulley so just use some WD40 on the back side of the pull and clean it out, then get some spray oil and spray into to the back side of the pulley while the car is running. Keep doing this until it stops making noise.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dissonance
i had this problem on a 96 car, it's from rust that builds up... i would use some WD40 and ran the car a while and it went away.

Cheetle,

Like Dark Age said it's most likely your idler pulley so just use some WD40 on the back side of the pull and clean it out, then get some spray oil and spray into to the back side of the pulley while the car is running. Keep doing this until it stops making noise.
Thanks a lot for your help guys. I feel stupid asking, but which one is the idler pulley? Is it the one in the center in the front? I really appreciate your help fellas. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

What year is your car?
GM had a technical service bulletin, TSB# 00-06-01-008 about the squeaking/chirping noise, caused by a slight belt-misalignment between the alternator and other pullies. Calls for changing the alt. bracket to GM# 12563327 and replacing the idler pulley with # 12563326.
I think the TSB was for '98-01 years, not sure though.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T/A rocker
What year is your car?
GM had a technical service bulletin, TSB# 00-06-01-008 about the squeaking/chirping noise, caused by a slight belt-misalignment between the alternator and other pullies. Calls for changing the alt. bracket to GM# 12563327 and replacing the idler pulley with # 12563326.
I think the TSB was for '98-01 years, not sure though.
My car is a '98 Trans Am. Would they still fix it even though the warranty is long gone?
Old 11-02-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cheetle
My car is a '98 Trans Am. Would they still fix it even though the warranty is long gone?
Very unlikely..
Old 11-02-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cheetle
Thanks a lot for your help guys. I feel stupid asking, but which one is the idler pulley? Is it the one in the center in the front? I really appreciate your help fellas. Thanks a lot!
Idler pulley is located in the upper left hand when facing the front of the motor

I fixed mine with WD40 and some cheap Tech spray oil from Wal-Mart, remember spray into the back of the pulley. Load it with a lot of oil... like daily for a week and it should stop. If in fact it's the pulley.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: squeaking at start up, then disappers..