Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under-hood Insulation??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 12:07 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Under-hood Insulation??

would it be safe for me to remove that insulation?? i think it looks absolutly REPULSIVE

i dont want my hood to bubbleup or anything so i was just wondering if any of you guys have removed it with no problems?

: - just for emphasis
Old 11-02-2004, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 02 didn't come with any insulation on the hood.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to know too, I hate that ****, it looks very ugly and cheap. I have a 98 Formula...
Old 11-02-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

I never had a problem in any of my older Camaros with the LT1 which ran hotter than the LS1. I always removed it to get to the false hood scoops for removal. So by that theory I would say have at it and wear gloves, the stuff gets in your hands and hurts like hell.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed mine after I drove into a ditch and it got populated with mud. No heat problems with it off. I think it was just there to soak up the mud/water for me, it did it's job.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My 02 WRX had the same **** on there and I took it off and I never had any problems, but every car is different I guess.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Retired Street Racer

mine didn't come with it...never a problem
Old 11-02-2004, 12:33 PM
That's what she said...

sweet....DEMOLITION TIME!!!

this makes me so happy, no matter how much i cleaned my engine compartment, that damn black thing always looked like chit. it has some dirt on it and its kindof torn in the front. i figured if the paint on the tranny tunnel next to the cat's doesnt bubble, the hood shouldnt either considering the temps probably only get to around 200 degrees. i might go pop that **** out right now!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

You may also want to pull the firewall insulation if you are working on heat clearing. Remember though, the underside of the hood where the black insulation is may be scuffed or dirty, it may even be a different shade of red.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:44 PM
That's what she said...

the nonmatching color was somthing i was wondering about but it it will look better than what is on it im pretty damn sure!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

It wasn't too bad on my blue Z but I got to it within a few years. You are at about 6 years on yours and the underside of the hood doesn't see much sunlight so the little bit of trim around the edges shouldn't pose too big a problem.

Last edited by mySStery_machine; 11-02-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I say remove it. I read somewere that the actual purpose for it is to smother a fire in the engine bay.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:45 PM
That's what she said...

removed it the other day, wasnt too much of a change between the paint that was under it to the exposed paint. i'm gonna wash her up real nice next time my car gets dirty to make it look sweet.

i also took off my AIR system all the way to the pump. i had made some block off plates from stainless this summer for it but then found out i would get an SES code so i never took it off. i took off the crap but left the pump plugged in and the hose pointed down untill i get HP tuners.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Launching!

I have a 2000 SS, didn't come with any.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:53 AM
That's what she said...

i got a SES code!!

my air system is still plugged in and runs fine, it just pumps air out into nothing. i STILL got a SES code! how is this possible? are the rear O2 sensors tattle telling on me because it doesnt meet emmissions light off soon enough??
Old 11-07-2004, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Once you remove the EGR and A.I.R. pump/hoses, there are two fuses you will need to pull ... one's actually a square module in one of your two fuse boxes under the hood. You'll also throw several codes. The !EGR and !AIR will need to be turned off to clear the SES light codes and disable the functionality of these devices ... with LS1Edit or HPTuners, etc..

I waited until I had most of my mods/upgrades done before I actually removed the EGR/AIR pump ... THEN, got my '99 tuned ... cost me $350.00 to have several dyno pulls and a tune. EGR is always in the way and it's a hassle to take off and put back on. Everytime you do work on your car, it's always in the way. You'd have to decide at what point to remove the stuff. I kept taking mine off and putting it back on and it seemed to run better with the stuff ON the car ... until I had it tuned out, then, it seems to run better. Either way, IMO, you won't notice much difference, if any.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry ... got off-thread with that last one. Hope it helps you, though.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:57 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
I say remove it. I read somewere that the actual purpose for it is to smother a fire in the engine bay.

What you read is correct.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:17 AM
That's what she said...

i just wanted to clear SOMETHING out from under the hood!! i figured i wouldnt get coded if it was still plugged in and just pumping into nothing

i guess i'll put it back on and pull the fuses to clear my SES code, which ones are they again??

oh yeah, when i do pull the fuses and unplug the battery, how do i find out my radio's security code before i do this??
Old 11-08-2004, 02:20 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Once you remove the EGR and A.I.R. pump/hoses, there are two fuses you will need to pull ... one's actually a square module in one of your two fuse boxes under the hood. You'll also throw several codes. The !EGR and !AIR will need to be turned off to clear the SES light codes and disable the functionality of these devices ... with LS1Edit or HPTuners, etc..

I waited until I had most of my mods/upgrades done before I actually removed the EGR/AIR pump ... THEN, got my '99 tuned ... cost me $350.00 to have several dyno pulls and a tune. EGR is always in the way and it's a hassle to take off and put back on. Everytime you do work on your car, it's always in the way. You'd have to decide at what point to remove the stuff. I kept taking mine off and putting it back on and it seemed to run better with the stuff ON the car ... until I had it tuned out, then, it seems to run better. Either way, IMO, you won't notice much difference, if any.

i diddnt remove the pump, just the hoses from the pump to the exhaust manifolds. i wanted to clear out some clutter. the pump still kicks on and runs but it simply pumps the air into the engine compartment untill it's warmed up. i'm not clear on how the PCM is determining that its not working.

Quick Reply: Under-hood Insulation??