Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a TVR

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 05:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a TVR

Hi - this is my firts post on LS1Tech.

I have been reading many articles on the LS1 including installing on carbs vs EFI the guys at popular hot rodding (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...e/0409em_gmpp/), and http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ap/index1.html from the guys at Car Craft.

There is a lot of talk over in the UK and New Zealand (see http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...33109&f=13&h=0 ) of putting LS1’s in newish TVR’s. There is also a lot of over inflated talk by one or two people starting to get into building kits for doing this, at frankly crazy prices.

I was wondering if you, would be able to help me out. I have a TVR Chimera 500 (5 litre Rover ex-Oldmobile – see pic’s). I would like to go the LS1 route, but would prefer to keep the EFI (std or after market efi) as it is a lot lower as far as the bits sticking up from the top of the motor (and TVRs have very low bonnets and would prefer to do all this with out having to cut the bonnet – much more fun).

I have found some info on the relative sizes of the two engines:- [ The Corvette LS1 engine measures approximately 25.25" long (Rover V8 is 27.5"), LS1 overall height is 24-25" (Rover V8 is 25.5" plus the carb and air filter or efi plenum, 29-30" or more), LS1 width across the cylinder heads is 20.5" (Rover V8 is 20")].

I can get hold of a used LS1 easily enough, but what I would like to know is:-

1) I see that from many you webpages you can get a system of plugging in the existing Vette or Camaro EFI loom to a different car than std, and being able to programme maps to the EFi for different engine setups (Cam changes? – LS6 spec?) / turning off parts of the ECU for things like AC - which I am not interested in.

HOW EASY IS THIS?

2) Any idea if you can mate up an LS1 to a t5 gearbox? I have heard this is a straight bolt up - but what about the spined hole in the LS1 clutch vs the spline I have on my t5 (not sure how many and what spec yet).

3) Does the Vette or Z28 have alternator / water pump externally mounted - they seem to differ.

It would be fantastic if any of you could give me any help with the above and / or be able to pass me on to anyone you think maybe able to help.

I want to be the first to do this in the UK using this great engine

Cheers
Jon Ellison in UK

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/p...&memberId=7660
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in a TVR-purple-monster-front.jpg   LS1 in a TVR-purple-monster-back.jpg   LS1 in a TVR-purple-monster-side.jpg   LS1 in a TVR-purple-monster-engine.jpg  
Old 11-02-2004, 06:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hybrid Section
Old 11-02-2004, 06:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nice car but wrong section.

I have never seen an LS1 in a TVR but if they can put them in RX7s im sure it can be done.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Jellison, ask this question in the "hybrid" section and I`ll reply in some detail. I`m also in UK and have nearly finished LS1 in Capri.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Uk Robert
Jellison, ask this question in the "hybrid" section and I`ll reply in some detail. I`m also in UK and have nearly finished LS1 in Capri.
Just say it here, a mod will move it soon.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

OK - its in Conversions and HYBRIDS now - Jon