Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Z06 vs. LS-1 C5 Vert M6

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 vs. LS-1 C5 Vert M6

Hey fellas,

I posted up in a different section w/ my frustrations, but wanted to see what y'all thought in terms of my next mods....

Scenario: wanted the performance of a Z06 , but wanted to get a drop top. So i figured on getting the drop top and modding it to run the Z......

My mods are in my sig and I am getting my dyno tune tomorrow after the new springs and header install...... I still have the stock LS-1 intake, cats and h-pipe. How much HP do you think i need to be making to walk a Z06? Keep in mind they have better gearing in 1,2,& 3rd gears, they weigh less, and have better aerodynamics? We have been getting together the last couple weekends w/ a handful of Z06's and I'm gettin' a little tired of bringin' up the rear....LOL. Each outing i have been doing better and better, but up to 150 i'm behind by a half to full car length. We are usually takin' off from a 70 roll and my gears are just not competitive w/ the Z's.

I should be around 390 +/- w/ my current setup after my tune tomorrow night...... any insight? Please, don't respond if you don't know what you are talkin' about as this will only move things and not help the mighty El Es Juan achieve victory.

thanks

-Marko
Old 11-02-2004, 04:09 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On an F-bod, you need about 400+rwhp to beat one.
My setup can pull on a stock Z06 (have done so a few times).
Old 11-02-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks,

i figure if i get up to 400 rwhp, i can maybe pull one w/ the top down...LOL

Old 11-02-2004, 04:14 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

That would be fun.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:26 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Now that I think of it, I beat one once at the track when I was running stock heads, putting down about 390rwhp (thru the 9"). He ran about 12.4 if I recall, so not too stellar on his part, but not too shabby either.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Now that I think of it, I beat one once at the track when I was running stock heads, putting down about 390rwhp (thru the 9"). He ran about 12.4 if I recall, so not too stellar on his part, but not too shabby either.
w/ the 390 hp where you running your current cam? If so, what is your specs on that cam.... .600 lift? What kind of springs are you using, also. I am thinkin' if i don't get to the 400 rwhp goal tomorrow, a larger cam and springs are next.....

-Marko
Old 11-02-2004, 04:45 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Yeah, it was with this cam, which put down 400 to the ground with a stock 10 bolt.
231/237 .598/.595 112 (mid-sized by today's standards).

I think your setup should be good for 400.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:17 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

PS. You can use the Comp 918's with the 231/237- I ran them for about 9k miles before swapping heads with no problems.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
PS. You can use the Comp 918's with the 231/237- I ran them for about 9k miles before swapping heads with no problems.
thanx
Old 11-02-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Slap some 3.90s(or 4.10s if you can handle it) on that thing with that power and you are there. The gears will do it......
Old 11-02-2004, 09:49 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

You wil have your hands full if you encounter a stock or mildly modded Z06 with a driver that is (A) good, and (B) does not care about his clutch. A guy I know runs 12.0's @117mph with a stock 02 Z06 (only mod being a varram air intake) on a shitty 800+ ft. above seal level unprepped track. Stock tires, exhaust, etc.

I would get the gears, open up the exhaust, ls6 intake, underdriv pulley and see how it is.

SDB
Old 11-03-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have pulled on stock z06's with my 360rwhp. granted, i have light weight rims and i am not a drop top. you just dont ever ever race them the way u want to which is at a high mph roll. thats a big mistake because of their weight they will imediately reel you in if you are not making more than enough hp than they are. it is all in driver's skills and if i do race them i do it at a 10-15 mph roll and i am able to stay ahead til about 115mph or so. however, i do think in your case you are in need of at least 390rwhp or more because of the weight of your vehicle and perhaps your driving skills.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

You may be surprised to hear this but...get the ls6 intake, and z06 wheels. I'm not sure how heavy your current rims/tires are, but those z06 wheels and f1 supercars are a very light combination. If you can remove 10lbs or more per corner, that unsprung weight will defintely give you a performance you can feel. Not only that but you will level the playing field with the ls6 intake, and the z06 wheels. With the rest of your setup you should have no trouble...
Old 11-03-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanx fellas,

that is what i needed to hear.....

i have been thinkin' about going back to 17/18's instead of the current 19's....

what do you guys think of the Z06 motorsport rims? I have ''heard'' they are pretty heavy? Anyone know what the difference in weight is?

-Marko
Old 11-03-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Next Phase
thanx fellas,

i have been thinkin' about going back to 17/18's instead of the current 19's....

what do you guys think of the Z06 motorsport rims? I have ''heard'' they are pretty heavy? Anyone know what the difference in weight is?

-Marko
why go aftermarket? go to the vette forums and i am sure you will find someone who is selling those wheels. dont bother with aftermarket because u might wind up adding more weight instead of reducing it. if you are a good driver and reduce some weigh of your car, once u tune you should be able to take those z06s out. remember, dont race them at a high mph roll. thats not your race and you will get reeled in each and everytime.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Next Phase
thanx fellas,

-Marko
Motorsports weigh about 15-20lbs more per wheel. Mike K. just went through this...Got rid of the black z06 motorsports for OEM z06 wheels.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Here is alot of stuff that is hindering you

stock LS-1 intake, cats and h-pipe

not sure how good your headers are but you are probably choking both the heads with that intake and the exhaust cause it still has cats and original piping.

A couple of other cheap thing you might consider,

an underdrive pulley
ported TB

Also FWIW I weighed the z06 real rims vs the z06 motorsport rims

motorsport rims with nittos come in at 60lbs a wheel with tire mounted

z06 fronts are 40 lbs a rim with the goodyear tires and 45lbs for the rear 18s with the goodyears.

Since you have 19s I bet its even a bigger weight difference than that, I have also foudn Kumho tires to be 5lbs heaver than goodyears so if you got Kumho tires then thats even heavier lol.

It wont take you much to wax that *** just a few more complimentary mods and you are there.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
i have pulled on stock z06's with my 360rwhp.
While anything can happen, this wouldn't be the norm. You are probably a better than average driver racing an average(or less) driver. My very first trip down a 1/4 mile track in my life yielded a 12.5@116.x.

I will also disagree with the "get 'em down low" strategy. That is where the gearing advantage is greatest and the reason why the ZO6 will do 0-100mph in well under 10 seconds. The first 3 gears go by like you are riding a sport bike.....just wham bam bam. I have raced a 420rwhp H/C y-coupe and it was still a race until 4th gear(both 1:1) and then I was history. The only problem the ZO6 will have down low is traction. An anxious driver will blow the tires in first if he just hammers the pedal.

Whitey, I think we have had this discussion before and do not doubt your experiences....just a discussion nonetheless. If you think about it, a ZO6 has the same amount of power you do with a lot less weight, better gearing, and better aerodynamics(which is a very minor factor). A good driver in a ZO6 really amplifies its abilities. A poor one does the opposite.

Next phase, your next phase should be gears......just get'em and be done with those pesky critters.

Last edited by FLYNLO; 11-03-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:06 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

The tranny gearing in the Z06 is a thing of beauty. The Z06 has no weak spot.

As FLYNLO states, rear end gears to match that mild heads/cam setup would work great. 4.10's may be a bit too much, 3.73's would be better. What do you have in there right now?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FLYNLO
While anything can happen, this wouldn't be the norm. You are probably a better than average driver racing an average(or less) driver. My very first trip down a 1/4 mile track in my life yielded a 12.5@116.x.

I will also disagree with the "get 'em down low" strategy. That is where the gearing advantage is greatest and the reason why the ZO6 will do 0-100mph in well under 10 seconds. The first 3 gears go by like you are riding a sport bike.....just wham bam bam. I have raced a 420rwhp H/C y-coupe and it was still a race until 4th gear(both 1:1) and then I was history. The only problem the ZO6 will have down low is traction. An anxious driver will blow the tires in first if he just hammers the pedal.

Whitey, I think we have had this discussion before and do not doubt your experiences....just a discussion nonetheless. If you think about it, a ZO6 has the same amount of power you do with a lot less weight, better gearing, and better aerodynamics(which is a very minor factor). A good driver in a ZO6 really amplifies its abilities. A poor one does the opposite.

Next phase, your next phase should be gears......just get'em and be done with those pesky critters.
no i dont consider myself a better than average driver. this is first manual car that i have ever raced. look at my sig and you will that i dont have a fast car, but the 12.59 is also not all my car has in it considering my lousy 60 ft. on top of that a rolling race is much much different if you know how to row gears. his biggest problem is that he has convertible and it is full weight.
also, traction will murder you if you dont have any.