Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help a crossthreaded bolt!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help a crossthreaded bolt!

I was removing the 10mm bolt that attach the AIR pipe to my LT headers when the head of the bolt snapped off. So now the remainder of the bolt is lodged in the header flange. Does anyone have a idea on what i can do?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Is any if the bolt sticking up out of the hole?

If so, you can get one of those damaged bolt remover kits from Sears ($20 - $50 depending on kit). I have a set. They look like dark grey sockets on the outside but they have spiral teeth on the inside. They are really ment for removing rounded over bolts, but they might work for this too.

There is another kind that you screw into the broken bolt and it bites into it so when you back it out the bolt comes with it. I remember my father having to use it once. If I remeber correctly, its kinda like a reverse thread screw/drill bit. The guy at the parts counter should know about it. This one is the more viable solution. You definately need a drill for this one. I think this is it:

Last edited by VIP1; 11-03-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:50 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that bottom picture above is what you need. its called an "ease-out"

you drill a small hole in the bolt you need to get out, make sure its dead center for best results. then you place the ease out,which will be slightly bigger than the drill bit, in the hole in the bolt, then you tap it in with a hammer. then you start to turn it to the left, it will make itself tighter in the broken bolt untill it starts to back the bolt out.

make sure you hose it down with plenty of penetrating oil if it gets stubborn, wait untill you get the ease-out seated good before you drench it with penetrating oil though

they sell ease-outs in all kinda different sizes to get anykind of bolt out. if worst comes to worse, you can always just drill the whole thing out and put a new bolt thru it with a nut on the other side. make sure you use a lock washer and/or loctite on the new stuff.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Throw away air check tubes and weld up the air fitting.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Throw away air check tubes and weld up the air fitting.