Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BGRA guys, whats your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BGRA guys, whats your experience?

Hi I have been debating over this, especiallly since my car is driven 4 of 7 days a week, more in the winter. How has it been for ya'll? I know the kit comes with some sort of rain blocker, but with it in and with out it in, have you had trouble with water in the intake? How does it do in hurricane type weather?
Are ya'll running the hood grills out? Catch any small creatures in the scoops?

Basically, good and bad experiences you have had with it.And any advice you could offer would be great. Thanks for the help!!
Old 11-04-2004, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

I love mine! There were some fitment issues when I was first putting it in, but that's to be expected because of the differences from car to car in that area.

After I got it in I immediately noticed a nice difference, especially in 3rd gear highway pulls

I keep my grills in but I will take them out at the track... My car is parked outside all week (school) and I don't want animals crawling up in there and making nests out of my filter. I'd leave them out if it weren't for that, though.

And speaking of hurricane-type weather, I had to drive for two hours through the remnants of one of this year's hurricanes a month or so ago. I put the blocker plate in but I guess I didn't snap it in tight because when I got where I was going it was just sitting inside the engine bay, half in front of the airbox. I pulled the filter to check it and it didn't even show a hint of wetness (this was after 35-70 mph on the highway with HIGH winds blowing rain right at me at times). So yeah... it's a good mod
Old 11-04-2004, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, this sounds better and better. I searched a bunch of old posts, and everyone had about the same reaction you.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

I too love the mod. I had some fitment issues as well and when I was done installing it I did the vacuum test by placing a garbage bag in front of the nostrils and just tapping on the gas it sucked the bag in. I was quite impressed.

I also did not remove the grilles as I don't want any pieces of big debris getting in there. I only use the rain blocker plate in heavier rains and have not had an issue. However, next year when I put the blower on, and hence will be sucking in a lot more air, any time it rains or even looks like I rain I'll put the rain blocker plate in.

This mod is definitely worth it as throttle response is greatly increased, definite SOTP difference. Even when just going from open to sealed w/ the rain blocker plate I can notice a big difference in throttle response, as I lose quite a bit of response w/ the plate in.

-Steve
Old 11-04-2004, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

No problems other than inhaling an occasional ricer.

I've driven in the (infrequent) rain here even without the plate, no problems even in pretty good pouring rain.

You should remove the grills - the cheap plastic nostril grills won't stop anything that your air filter and/or MAF screen wouldn't.

I've had the kit on since '99 and no problems whatsoever. Excellent mod.

Bad30th
Old 11-07-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

How about dirt? Are you ending up cleaning your filters a lot?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd like to know...if the rain blocker affects performance any...and first i don't really see how rain could go in through there up through the filter and straight across into the engine...that seems like a lot of moving and just really doesn't seem possible that water could do all that...also if i had chrome grille plates with holes in them...would that hinder performance any...doesn't seem like it would do to much
Old 11-08-2004, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

I love my BGRA It sucks a leaf against the grill at idle Also, if you put your hands over both grills, you can feel the air flowing across your hands.