Sponsored by:

neutral safety switch question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neutral safety switch question

Ive got a a-4 car that i recently put a TH400 in and a aftermarket shifter ,
just wondering if any of you guys had done this and what needs to be done with the wire's ( 6 wire harness ) to trick the PCM into thinknig its in Park or neutral to start
thank you ...
Old 11-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Nevermind figured it out ...
Old 11-05-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trubo
Ive got a a-4 car that i recently put a TH400 in and a aftermarket shifter ,
just wondering if any of you guys had done this and what needs to be done with the wire's ( 6 wire harness ) to trick the PCM into thinknig its in Park or neutral to start
thank you ...
Theres a black box on the side of the A4 shifter...it must be all the way up on one end or the other for the car to start. Then you slide it into P to get a reading with your wire prob for the nuetral side. Then you slide it one click back for reverse and probe it for those wires...But you do need to leave the black box in P or the car wont start at all in any selection....At least with the probing that we found after an hour or so...Call my cell, if you need some help still. It wont bite!
Old 11-06-2004, 03:57 AM
Launching!

Question

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Theres a black box on the side of the A4 shifter...it must be all the way up on one end or the other for the car to start. Then you slide it into P to get a reading with your wire prob for the nuetral side. Then you slide it one click back for reverse and probe it for those wires...But you do need to leave the black box in P or the car wont start at all in any selection....At least with the probing that we found after an hour or so...Call my cell, if you need some help still. It wont bite!
OK got a ? for you. I have a Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter I am going to put in place of my stock shifter. Here are the instructions, http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/3838500.pdf It has a connector for the neutral safety switch and the reverse lights. How about the "Park" rod which allows you to turn the key all the way off?

I do have a wiring diagram to search out the wires in the arch shaped wire loom/slide you are talking about . Once I hook up the neutral safety switch wire to the new shifter I can remove the arch thing. Right?

Ken