Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get a T/A, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 03:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trying to get a T/A, advice?

i've been looking around the boards for a while and i've read lots of stuff on LS1s, almost too much to try to comprehend. anyway, im looking at getting an LS1 again. I have come close on many occasions, but changed my mind at the last minute each time. I think the main reason is because I was always looking at T/As at dealerships and they were always ragged out really bad. This time im pretty serious about getting into a T/A. I know what I want, but I dont know what to look for in one. I see tons of F-bodies come in and out of the Classifieds section, and I still speak Ford, so most of this stuff I dont understand. I spend most of High school working on my 5.0. I know enough about those to build up a combo for pretty much any application, but LS1s are completely different. I dont know what cam profiles work with them, what heads work, etc.

First, what should I look for in a T/A? Im trying to stay as stock and inexpensiveas possable, like a 98-99. Is there anything I should look for inparticular with these cars? signs of wear that are easily noticed only by people who know f-bodies well? also, whats a good milage number to stay around with an LS1? any other advice would be great.

Second, what would make a good streetable road race combo? This will be my daily driver, so I cant have something with 700hp getting 10mpg. Keep in mind im 19, so I cant do Brembos all around with a built 348 H/C. I was more planning on the 1LE suspension package, lid, full exhaust (emissions legal, but w/ cutout), some sort of brake upgrade, wheels, and pretty much any other mod I can get away with and still make decent gas milage. again, any other advice would be great.

thanks in advance
Old 11-06-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. This was a previous post of mine that I think you should find helpful. Just search around. Good luck finding the car!

"I am in the market for an ls1 and have been brooding over the same thing. I think, all-in-all, the best bet would be to give the car up at around 150k. Chances are you are probably loosing some power and overall oomf and reliabilty. I would look into another car at that point or look into a new rotating assembly (forged... ). Or you could get a rebuild...but I think for a little more you could get all new, better stuff. Ls1's are beasts and I have heard of some that have been running for a loooong time. I've posted up asking similar questions and offering my answers, so check out these threads, they might help you out."

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/210023-big-decision-ls1-lt1.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/210270-engine-holds-high-mileage-better-ls1-lt1.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/229319-opinions-high-mile-1998-ls1.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/227569-what-mileage-stay-away.html
Old 11-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Launching!

ok, well that answers my milage questions. What about general car questions. Anything that I should look for other then decent milage?
Old 11-06-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BottleRocket
ok, well that answers my milage questions. What about general car questions. Anything that I should look for other then decent milage?
try to get a f-body that's bone stock, or at least appears to be. you don't want a car that's been raced up the ***. that's what i'd look for at least
Old 11-06-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Decent mileage for a 98-99 LS1 is like 70-90k. I bought mine w/ 84k for $9975. They're inexpensive. Also, modding a car and looking for great gas mileage isn't compatible.

Almost anything that adds serious, noticeable power is going to rob gas mileage. You gotta pay to play, bro. You should know from your fox body days, modding isn't cheap. Good luck finding what you are looking for.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
Decent mileage for a 98-99 LS1 is like 70-90k. I bought mine w/ 84k for $9975. They're inexpensive. Also, modding a car and looking for great gas mileage isn't compatible.

I know that any HP mods will reduce gas milage, thats why I wanted to get into Road Racing and Auto-X. I can be class competitive with a car that just has a lid, LS6 intake, full exhaust, 1LE, wheels, etc. The double OD helps also compared to my old POS T3550. But 5.0's loved gas anyway, I had a car making ~370 on motor and a little over 520 on the bottle, but even around town I was lucky to see 12 mpg since I had 4.10s and high compression. When premium gas started to approach the $3.00 mark, thats when I couldnt afford it anymore. Plus the fact that it sucked as a daily.

I think this setup would work great for me. It will have decent power for the street, maybe a small direct port shot in the future, great suspension (not drag race so its actually enjoyable to drive), front wheels that are actually wider then 3.5", and a non-gutted interior with a nice system, A/C, PS, PW, PL, etc.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm....look for ripples in the bottom side skirts..ever since i started racing mine have started rippling and i ain't joken >.