Sponsored by:

Just ordered PC Gold Duals and got a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just ordered PC Gold Duals and got a question

Just ordered a set from TSP and I wanted to ask a question

Is there anything special you would have to do to install these springs vs a 918 and if so what? How much more trouble is it to do on the car vs off?

I don't think there is anything but I figured I'd ask cause this IS NOT a 918 style bee-hive spring.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

1) They say they work fine on stock heads.
2) On the car you'd have to remove the coil packs and stuff but other than that it shouldn't be any harder to do on the car than off it.
3) Again, the springs are supposed to work fine on stock style spring seats.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:11 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Originally Posted by SDC
1) They say they work fine on stock heads.
2) On the car you'd have to remove the coil packs and stuff but other than that it shouldn't be any harder to do on the car than off it.
3) Again, the springs are supposed to work fine on stock style spring seats.

The stock spring seats will not work, you will get a new set of spring seats designed for the dual spring package and a set of new valve stem seals. The stock spring seats will only work on a single spring, not the dual.

The dual springs will take a little longer timewise to install vs. 918's, but nothing too bad.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

I stand corrected
Old 11-06-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
The stock spring seats will not work, you will get a new set of spring seats designed for the dual spring package and a set of new valve stem seals. The stock spring seats will only work on a single spring, not the dual.

The dual springs will take a little longer timewise to install vs. 918's, but nothing too bad.
This is not true entirely. There are a couple of dual springs that will work with stock heads. And why would dual springs take any longer..????????
Old 11-06-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redrumss
This is not true entirely. There are a couple of dual springs that will work with stock heads. And why would dual springs take any longer..????????
Jason @ TSP says they work with stock heads -- See Below

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/227754-gold-spring-kits-back-stock.html

I guess I should re-word my question

Is there any more work required to install all of the above items included in the kit vs just installing a 918 spring?

Is the work harder to do or just takes a few more seconds to change additional items?

Can this be done on the car?
Old 11-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Valvespring swap

See the link, but the only pertinent information is the valvespring swap if that is all you are doing. The difference between the doubles you have pictured and the 918's is that with the 918's you only replace the spring and the retainer (the locks as well if you want to).

make sure you have a good valvespring tool that will be able to get under the cowl on the back cylinders.

These fit without machining the head from the information that is out there.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Just installed my PRC duals today. Made a tool like the "Larry tool" and it was incredibly easy. The stock seals and seats were nothing at all to change for the duals.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redrumss
Most dual springs work with stock heads. Its the stock seats and seals that don't work Those have been the only time I remember hearing about a PP Gold spring snapping, is when they tried to mix and match stock seals/seats and these springs. Its not going to work.

They take a little longer b/c of the seats and seals, but also b/c its a little more difficult to compress a double spring. Takes a little more umph.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for everyone's input -- I forgot to check the ls1howto when I posted this but atleast I know some things now I didn't know prior.