Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might go backwards, MTI Stealth II Cam, have some ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Might go backwards, MTI Stealth II Cam, have some ????

Hello,

I am thinking of buying the MTI Stealth II cam to run NA for now and to use it for a turbo set up in the future.

2 years ago, I bought a set of Absolute Speed STG 2 241 heads and a TR 224 114lsa cam. My other mods are Jet Hot LT (no cats), Lid, 160 Stat, GMMG Catback, cutout, Ported TB.

That combo made decent power, I got 412HP & 396 TQ at the wheels. The driveabilty wasn't bad.

I enjoyed it for a year and decided, let's try something a little bigger. So I called up Thunder Racing and after talking to them we decided on a - 230/230, .575 .575 114lsa

When I installed the cam, I also put on a Electric water pump and a ASP pulley.

After getting it retuned, it put down 423HP & 396 TQ. The torque curve was flatter and had more upper HP. In a way, I was kinda disapointed in the numbers. I figured I'd hit 430HP & 405Tq. Maybe I am maxing out my heads.

With the bigger cam, I also noticed more exhaust smell at idle which is really starting to get to me. I know with bigger cams you can get more revision or what ever the term is but since I tune LS1's I know that the computer adds more fuel than it needs at idle because of this. The O2 are picking up more of the intake charge. The one good thing about my custom TR 230 cam is that it sure does sound mean and has a good lope to it, more than I really wanted.

Since I really don't drag race my car much, haven't yet this year since I still have my stock 10 bolt, for now, I am not going to try and get the max power out of a H/C package. It's a nice weather car only.

Basically I have learned that you give up something for something else. Yes I did get more HP but at the expense of more exhaust smell. So I guess going bigger is not always better, live and learn...

Since I am most likely going to go with a turbo, I figure with winter approaching, maybe I'll install a different cam.

I am seriously considering the MTI Stealth II 224/220, .581/.581 116 lsa.

I'm sure with that cam and my current mods, I should at least hit 405-410 HP, which is fine with me, but I am concerned about the idle sound with my set up.

You guys that have the MTI Stealth II cam consider the sound between a stock cam and a TR 224 114lsa cam?

Since a 2001 F-Body cam is: 196/207, .467/.479 116 lsa and the MTI Stealth II cam is: 224/220, .581/.581 116 lsa there is no way in hell the MTI cam can sound and idle as smooth as the stock cam my car came with right. Just by having more duration with the MTI Stealth II cam it should have a slight lope to it.

Basically, I liked how my TR 224 114lsa cam sounded but if the MTI sounds just about like my old TR 224 cam, then thats the one I want!!!

What do you guys think?

Bill
Old 11-07-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have it cam only, full bolt ons 404rwhp/383trq (minus EWP)
With my Hooker cat back, I can hear the slight lope and cam tempo, but when I put my stock muffler on, forget it, no difference unless you used electronics to read the soundwave lenghts.
The difference in tempo is the Stealth II seems faster, probably due to the ramp rate.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:51 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically, I liked how my TR 224 114lsa cam sounded but if the MTI sounds just about like my old TR 224 cam, then thats the one I want!!!
What?

The MTI should be more quiet than a TR224, a TR224 (on a 114) has a noticeable lope to it.

The stealth cam is hit and miss in clips I've heard (never heard the stealth in person).

If you want the TR224 cam sound, put it back in. The MTI should be a quieter and the power differences will be small.