Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what pulley is upper left looking into the bay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 08:13 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what pulley is upper left looking into the bay?

I have pinpointed the source of the hissing noise in my engine bay as coming from the pulley that is on the top left side of the system when looking head on into the bay. It's the oe that sticks up next to my battery you know? I noticed this after removing the air baffles when I switched my lid since it was previously hidden by said baffles. do any of you know which pulley this is, or what the part number is? Its driving me nuts... its so loud and obnoxious...

TY
bradford
Old 11-09-2004, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Taking a guess, A.C compressor, I will look at lunch and let you know for sure, Where do the lines coming out of it go?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Mine started making noise last week too. It is the idler pulley. There is even a good guide on how to replace on installuniversity.com. I just have to get time to get the thing changed.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WSteve6
Mine started making noise last week too. It is the idler pulley. There is even a good guide on how to replace on installuniversity.com. I just have to get time to get the thing changed.
yep, it sounds like you are talking about the idler pulley
Old 11-09-2004, 03:45 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

alright thanks guys I appreciate it.

hey do you think it could be the tensioner pulley itself? Because in the diagrams on installuniversity the one I think is making the noise is labeled the tensioner. But I am not sre if it's acutally THAT pulley or not. I pulled it off last weekend and when I spun it it made a kind of itty bitty hissing noise, whih when amplified x000 rpms / minute could be the one, but I dont know. I did not take off the idler though, so as of yet I am unsure as to which one it is, but it sounds like the tensioner. have you had any experiences with this kind of issue? anyways thanks again.

Last edited by 1998camaroz28; 11-09-2004 at 03:51 PM.